Need to change pressure regulator

BX Tech talk
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Need to change pressure regulator

Post by axbx »

Hello everyone

I recently changed the main accumulator sphere on my 1989 TurboDiesel, but when I tightened the 12mm after fitting the new sphere, I used to much power, probably destroyed the seat and the ball inside the regulator, and now the Hpump is having a really hard time building up pressure. I can feel it "brakes" my engine when the pump kicks in, and the sound is terrible.

So I got hold of a new pressure regulator(as in the base of the main accumulator sphere..) from a Xantia, unknown year, but its part number is 588684.
So I need to know if I can use this on my BX?
Or should I try to just swap the spring and little metal ball from the old regulator with the new one?

BTW Im also trying to find the sensor for the tachometer, the tacho isnt working is there anything special I should be looking for besides the sensor?

Thanks for any help!

Kris
rmattila
BXpert

Re: Need to change pressure regulator

Post by rmattila »

axbx wrote:So I got hold of a new pressure regulator(as in the base of the main accumulator sphere..) from a Xantia, unknown year, but its part number is 588684.
Hei!

As far as I know, there should be three different models of pressure regulators for BX:

# 5724 14 for BX 1,4
# 5724 16 for diesels and petrol models without power steering (or with 6+2 pump).
# 95 588 682 for power steered models (without 6+2 pump).

All of these and a couple of others can be found on different Xantia models. However, my catalogues give no hits for the number 684 you provided. Are you sure the last digit is 4 and not 2?
Last edited by rmattila on Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

as rmattila says that No. does not show up on service citroen under any modle,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Post by axbx »

yes the number is 4
the one i have taken is the same as this:
http://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und- ... d=28935427

after working on the car today i saw that i need a new regulator with a third pipe inlet at the bottom, in addition to the two on top.

Thanks
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

That number cast in the part is apparently not the actual Citroën replacement part number but something else. I checked one of my reserve regulators and it had the number 649885 cast in its body, which doesn't match any part # either.

If you have a power steering (i.e. a flow distributor valve), then you will need a regulator with 3 connections.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Post by axbx »

I see, do you know what other citroens have this regulator?
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

axbx wrote:I see, do you know what other citroens have this regulator?
As I said above, there are 3 different regulators for BX:

Since yours is apparently a turbo diesel with power steering, I seems as though it should have the # 95 588 682 - however, I have learnt that these lists do not always produce the correct part #, so there's a small uncertainty.

In Xantia mk I, there's the following set of possibilities:

If we assume the # 95 588 682 was indeed the correct one, there's your list of Xantia mk I models that should share the same regulator.

Finally, for Xantia mk II there's yet another list:

So no matches there.

My guess is that this 95 588 682 would be the only regulator with three connections (i.e. meant to be coupled with a flow distributor), whereas the other models would be for the those models which either have no power steering or the power steering feed comes directly from the 6+2 pump and not from the flow distribution valve. But that's just my guess, I have no actual experience on Xantiae.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Post by axbx »

Yes, that third pipe is going to some kind of distributor so thats likely correct. please say if you find one laying around. these diesels are rare here in norway........

thanks
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i think you will find a regulator from an early XANT will be fine, as long as it has the power steering flow valve (FDV) bolted just above it,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

axbx wrote:Yes, that third pipe is going to some kind of distributor so thats likely correct. please say if you find one laying around. these diesels are rare here in norway........
It won't have to be a diesel, any power steered model with a flow distribution valve will do. The Finnish independent Citroën parts importer / breaker http://www.sitronen.fi/ seem to list the regulator on their catalogue:
PAINEENSÄÄDIN TEHOSTETTU OHJAUS (SIS PANTIN 50 EUR) 170,0 Eur
Price 170 eur, including a deposit of 50 eur, which they give you back if you give them an old regulator in return. If you really think the problem is in the regulator and can't find one closer, I guess you could send them an email at sitronen@kolumbus.fi and ask if they would send one to Norway. But these things ought not to be very rare in any case, since most BXes at least in Finland have power steering.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Post by axbx »

Thanks alot :)