Ignition problem, starter is turning but no ignition

BX Tech talk
TB2
BXpert

Ignition problem, starter is turning but no ignition

Post by TB2 »

Hello everyone,

well, it turns out that the engine is not running quite as smooth just yet. The problem is that most of the times I try to start the engine, only the starter will turn but there will be no ignition. I sometimes manage to get the engine going by depressing the plunger on the rotodiesel filter a bunch of times with the ignition half-on and then depressing the throttle all the way while starting the engine. In rare cases it will just ignite by itself without hesitation.

As per haynes advice I bled the fuel filter (unscrew bleeder, plunge...) but it's not making a difference.

Also, the exhaust smoke is kinda blue-ish white at times, especially when releasing the throttle. The smoke becomes less with the engine at operating temperature but it's not gone completely.

I highly doubt that it's a timing issue since the belt was nice and tight between pump and camshaft and the engine does produce power and so on. It could be that some dirt went into the system, although I really only removed parts of the fuel system between the pump and the head, and not before the pump. I was unable to use the exact 130NM on the injectors since I didn't have a torque wrench that goes this high but I tightened them to 100NM and then 'a bit more'. I replaced the seals on the injectors as well as these 'fire washers' (what are these?) with the convex side up.

Any clues?
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Are all your glow-plugs reconnected and operational?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
TB2
BXpert

Post by TB2 »

Yes they're allright.

Just now, after some 2 hours of being left alone it started immediately and without a problem. I'm starting to suspect that it may just be the battery running flat. It did turn kinda slowly, even though I had it sit over night on the charger. I'll try again tomorrow and if it's still working from a cold start I'll assume it's the battery and change it. I'll keep a close eye on the smoke...
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.