Diesel leak...

BX Tech talk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

docchevron wrote: I assume it's dripping down the front of the sump? Or the cambelt cover end of the sump?
It's hard to tell, especially as normally it's parked with it's nearside up on the kerb, so a leak will naturally drip from the offside quarter of the sump. I still haven't discounted leak off pipes but once I've parked it on level ground for a while and run the car until the problem manifests itself again (it didn't last night), I should have a better idea.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

there shouldnt be any prob finding leeky leak off pipes, if they are leeking they will be wet all the time,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I think it's a pump seal at the cambelt side. Something I need to get fixed next week, as I don't want diesel to end up on the cambelt.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

on the pump i fitted a new seal to years ago the sprocket had its own built in puller to remove it,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

some do, some dont. Dead handy when they do though!

If it's been leaking out of the nose seal, you'll want to replace the cam belt anyway!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Picked up a Citroen OE cam belt at Little Horwood for a fiver. The one on there was only done 6k miles ago, but I will definitely fit the new one. Same for the auxiliary belt as it's quite narrow and runs the compressor for the ac as well as the alternator. While all this is being done the compressor can be replaced with the one I have sitting here, but first the system needs degassing.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Transpires the leak - and it is minor - is from the rear area of the pump and not from either side. The cambelt isn't being contaminated and the pump doesn't appear to leak noticeably (it certainly doesn't drip) when it's running. But stopped, after a few seconds you'll get a few drips from the front of the sump adjacent to the filter/alternator.

Taking it down to Kermit on Friday where hopefully we can effect a repair. Fingers crossed. Kermit certainly seems confident it's not too serious.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Sounds like it might just be a seeping injector pipe, I find a cure for this is just to slightly undo the offending pipe before re-tightening which normally reseats the pipe curing the seep.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

There is a little cover low down (both sides) on the Bosch pump covering the timing mechanism. It's possible that is leaking - I've had that before. I had to take the pump off to replace the O ring though.

EDIT - when you say the rear of the pump do you mean as viewed from the front of the car or from the cambelt end? If the latter I would be inclined to agree with Kevan.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

A bit of both - it's behind and possibly to the right - as you face it from the front of the car. Anyway, it certainly doesn't leak enough to make me a menace to other road users (especially bikes) so I'm off to Worthing on Friday morning and let's see what the Green Frog can do :)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i have been told by a diesel fitter that if the one way valves at the feed and return banjo unions stick, this can/will cause presure build up and leakage from any seal/s,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi

Well, we have located the leak, and not been able to fix it. The leak's not bad - leaving a drip here or there, but it is a problem.

It's at the back of the pump - facing it from the front of the car - where the two bodies of the pump meet. Kermit (Phil Boxall) checked, cleaned and tightened what he could, but we need to remove this pump and fit another (a better option than repairing the existing for us). Although Phil has at least one spare Bosch pump these are from turbo diesels - will that make a difference?

Alternatively can anyone please help if they have a 99% known-decent pump from a 1.9n/a? If you can get it to Kermit he can get it cleaned and checked over by the local marine diesel place, and assuming it passes the test, it can be swapped with mine (which will then be offered for refurbishment if anyone wants it).

Before the pipework was removed and cleaned...