Fog light wiring issues

BX Tech talk
citsncycles
Over 2k

Fog light wiring issues

Post by citsncycles »

BX failed the MOT today - but only on rear foglights, which my friend who helped check the lights on Sunday insists were working.

The light on the switch works, the fuses are ok and I've had the rear light units out and have checked the bulbs and connections - there's no power at the light unit though.

Tomorrow I'll start tracing the wiring from the switch onwards, but would be greatful for any information on joints, relays etc. between the switch and the rear light units.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

There is no relay for the rear fogs. They are fed from F10 as is the light on the switch.
12v comes in to the LH light first on the 7way connector. If you have no voltage there and the headlights are on and the light on the switch is lit brightly then you probably have an open circuit between the fuse and the connector. Seems unlikely though.
Try running 12v to the fogs by a new temporary lead or shorting pins 1 and 7 together or any 12v to pin 1 for the fogs on the rear light 7way connector with lights on. If the fogs then light up this will prove the open circuit idea at least and reassure you that the foglights circuit is ok at the rear end.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Thanks for the info - now sorted & MOT'd!

it was the link wire in the tow electrics between the plug into the loom and the rear light units, which I've now fixed.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!