Changing ignition barrel

BX Tech talk
mds141
Over 2k

Changing ignition barrel

Post by mds141 »

As subject reads need to change over the ignition barrel on the valver due to it having given up the ghost. Easy DIY job? Any tips most appreciated. Mark.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
RxBX
Over 2k

Re: Changing ignition barrel

Post by RxBX »

mds141 wrote:As subject reads need to change over the ignition barrel on the valver due to it having given up the ghost. Easy DIY job? Any tips most appreciated. Mark.
Hi Mark !
Did you not try the search facility ? As THIS link should be of help !

Have you got a replacement lock-set/ignition barrel or will you be sourcing/requiring one, (I possibly may have a spare, but would have to check) ?

:D

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Don't know whether it's possible on the BX but had a similar problem to yours on our Discovery. Our local locksmith cut a new key from the code (rather than simply making a copy of the worn original) which was some improvement but was completely cured by him replacing the worn tumblers in the lock itself. Only cost £30, so I'm sure there would be someone close to you who could provide a similar service.

I've rebuilt door locks before so it may even be possible on a DIY basis assuming you can get the tumblers. Personally I hate having mismatched keys, and a full lock set (including glovebox and filler flap) will be both rare and expensive.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Thanks for help guys. Ordered a new lock set off ebay for £20 proper valeo one. I'll get my local Citroen guru Dave Ashworth to fit it. :)
Mark Smith

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Is it much of a faff? the one on the TZD is really awkward and works when it feels like it!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

mds141 wrote:Thanks for help guys. Ordered a new lock set off ebay for £20 proper valeo one. I'll get my local Citroën guru Dave Ashworth to fit it. :)
Mark,

Sorry if maybe the bearer of bad news, if it's one of THESE (As I see one was purchased today) these are not a FULL lock-set :!:

IIRC 'Kitch' found out that he'd overlooked this too and probably from the same E-Bay seller (LINK to thread) you may have picked up on this if you'd used the search facility 'ignition and barrel' and read thro' the threads (currently #5 in the list) :wink:

:)

Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

I had gone in the BX to a woodyard for some gear and on return couldn't start the vehicle due to the lock problem. Basic tools and borrowed a hammer. Had it dismantled in about 30 mins or so and then drove it home.
I got my complete barrel from a shop on the Wirral which cost about £78 at the time.
It can be done at the roadside ! :D . I've done these before in the dealership so roadside was a challenge and so easily overcome
Land Rover Discovery TD5
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

RxBX wrote: IIRC 'Kitch' found out that he'd overlooked this too and probably from the same E-Bay seller (LINK to thread) you may have picked up on this if you'd used the search facility 'ignition and barrel' and read thro' the threads (currently #5 in the list) :wink:

Docchevron wrote; ''you can start the car with a fork, long finger nail, small penis''........dare I ask :? :o
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

the hamster wasn't keen either...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

quickest way to change it is by swapping out the whole upper steering column, 4 screws, 4 nuts, 1 bolt and two wiring connectors, and easily done in 30 minutes.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

RxBX wrote:........................
Mark,
Sorry if maybe the bearer of bad news, if it's one of THESE (As I see one was purchased today) these are not a FULL lock-set :!:
Mark,
The missing/main part to the /\ lock-set is THIS part, but what a price and that's not even a for a full lock-set :shock:

mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

New ignition switch fitted today at Dave Ashworth's in Blackpool for £20. Thanks for replies and advice guys. :)
Mark Smith