Knocking engine and burning oil when hot

BX Tech talk
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Knocking engine and burning oil when hot

Post by maxgreenwood »

I have mentioned my noisy engine here already and the garage said it was 'crankshaft rumble' and not to worry about it, but now i'm not so sure they heard the extent of the noise when engine is fully warmed up.

I'm talking about a 16 carb petrol. 1990 TZS

I've got blue smoke out the exhaust on acceleration, not idle, which is accompanied with knocking, but only at a particular medium load, full throttle it goes.. And the blue smoke and knocking only occur when engine is fully warmed up. It sounds pretty sweet before then and no fumes.

It seems to be getting slowly worse. The engine is using oil. And the other day i took off the oil filler cap whilst engine running at full operating temp. , and there is what looks like the same blue fumes coming out of the oil filler pipe too, which was quite alarming and is making me think this could be more serious than 1st anticipated.

The timing and fueling has been set by the garage and seems spot on.

The cambelt was done a few months ago.

I have just done an oil and filter change to see what that would do, using 15w 40, before that i had 10w 40 - no discernable difference.

It did run low on oil (before i knew it was using it) on a run, with me up to 4000 rpm at times. But there was still a few mm oil on the bottom of the dipstick.

The knocking only showed up once i'd replaced the vacuum advance capsule. The timing was previously advanced about 10mm from it's current correct position when i got the car (and the vacuum advance wasn't working, but connected)

I don't have any mechanical background when it comes to cars but i've come to understand all this technical stuff in trying to get the car sorted.

From searching the web etc, could it be piston rings?
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Piston rings problems could probably explain your blue smoke problem, that's oil being burnt. It probably becomes more apparent when the engine's warm as the oil is fluid enough to leak up the cylinders. That could also explain your "smoke in the oil", high pressure + hot air leaking out at TDC.

Check your sparks plugs, that should help diagnose if it's just one cylinder or more (Haynes has diagnoses in the back for these). If it's just one and the piston is seriously damaged, then that could explain the knocking, as the engine could be giving uneven torque fluctuations.
But there was still a few mm oil on the bottom of the dipstick
The difference between high and low on a dipstick is still a good litre, remember.

If you've adjusted the vacuum advance, try adjusting it back? It may sound elementary, but hopefully your knocking will just be ignition a few degrees too early (causes large engine stresses if you're firing early, but it's a very simple fix).

Will
ImageImageImageImageImage
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Thanks Willy,
the timing has been set by the garage with the new vac advance caps on so i'm reluctant to change it. i should take it down there and listen with them and talk it over.

Maybe if it had been advanced to compensate for lack of vacuum advance at somepoint before i got the car, this might have put stress on the engine leading to this wear, but i'm not sure how that would affect it. It didn't seem to be knocking at that stage. It will be a real shame if this becomes a big problem as i've had some big jobs done and i really like the car.

I'll check the spark plugs, i fitted new ones around 3k ago.

It's very smelly, petrol/oily as well as smoky at the moment.
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

if the knocking was not there before re/timming after the advance capsule was fitted, it is almost certainly a timming issue causeing it,

the smoke could be a blocked crank case breather, which will presureise the sump,

did you oil warning lamp light when low on oil, if not then the oil pump was still finding oil, as the warning lamp lights when there is no or very low oil presure,

if it did not light then its unlikely this caused any damage,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Hi Malcolm,
the light did not come on.
where is the crank case breather? How would you unblock?

I trust the garage with the timing setup, and i experimented with it myself beforehand. I think this knocking is different from the knocking obtained by too much advance.

I'll take it back to the garage so they can have a quick look i think.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Pinking from too much ignition advance is more of a 'tinkling' sound, so that seems less likely to me. Perhaps another Youtube video? Do you know any good sound engineers? :lol:

The crankcase breather system is designed to take any pressureisation of the crankcase (from any combustion gases leaking past the piston rings) away as otherwise the pressure build up would damage seals and cause oil leaks. All engines will leak past the rings slightly but obviously more so with a worn engine. In the past this was vented to atmosphere but for the last 30-40 years it is now drawn into the air intake system and burnt. There should be a pipe from the oil filler to the air filter somewhere - if you pull that off at the air filter end and you still see as much smoke that proves the breather system is OK.

To me, the oil consumption/smoke from the filler does sound like worn bores/rings. A compression tester is pretty cheap to buy and as easy to use as changing spark plugs - that will give you a good idea of where the problem is.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Your description of the knocking says to me big end bearing and I'd recommend that you have it investigated further before you have what we in the trade call a 'leg out of bed' i.e. a broken con rod through the side of the crankcase.

You might get away with a set of big end shells if you're very lucky and have caught it in time before too much damage has been done to the crankshaft although that's a rare occurence.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

/\ I thought that as well, but the bit about going away under load puzzled me. I've not heard a big end knock personally (although heard knocking that may or may not have been, just not diagnosed for certain) so I'm not confident enough to make a diagnosis on it.

The other point to note is that a 10w40 and a 15w40 have nominally the same viscosity when hot so wouldn't expect a difference if the noise is oil pressure related. I think that the recommended range goes right up to a 20w50, but I'm not recommending just putting a thicker oil in to hide the problem.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Thanks for all your thoughts here.

I just took it down the garage. It doesn't look good. Probably piston rings. "I'd start rooting around for another car" was their advice.

The knocking he said was the crankshaft, not sure if that means the bearings or what. But more importantly the engine would need an overhaul, head and sump off. Big job. €1500.

The car really smells and it is now embarrising covering following cars in clouds of dirty blue smoke.

This is really annoying, but a lesson learned with a car i bought in February more with my heart than head. I've driven it for 6000 miles in that time.

I have had the clutch and cambelt and the big octopus done in the last 6 months. That's a load of money i needn't have spent. Also spheres and re-con struts, but i can transfer them to another one.

I might be able to tackle the job myself with some help and a garage somewhere, but not for a while.

I'd better start looking for some more wheels.

:cry:
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

maxgreenwood wrote:
I'd better start looking for some more wheels.

:cry:
I'd be more inclined to look around for a secondhand engine.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

that is an option, although i don't know how i'd do it. Maybe i could fit a GTi engine and put the speedlines on it looks like i've aquired.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Could do a lot worse than fit a GTi engine: everything else - is pretty much the same.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

Max - sounds like you need a trip to essex and a nice 1993 TXD diesel estate - in Red ;-)
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Root around on ebay/here for a second hand engine/someone breaking their car. Money-wise, you'd probably be better off splicing in a replacement - maybe even a cheap bare one if all your auxillaries are in good shape. It could possibly work out cheaper than breaking your car for pittence or spend E1500 on getting it fixed. Try a diesel :)
ImageImageImageImageImage
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

used to have a diesel, a good TZD turbo estate. Sold it 2 years ago :(
Max - sounds like you need a trip to essex and a nice 1993 TXD diesel estate - in Red Wink
I have been looking around for an XM estate, the BX is great round town, but a big mile muncher would be great for work trips round the country and family holidays. If i can i might move on this more quickly and repair the BX as and when. I have had a generous offer of help from a club member with respect to engine swapping, so I am officially on the look out for a good replacement.