French electrics

BX Tech talk
pmh
Confirmed BX'er

French electrics

Post by pmh »

French electrics are well known for some bizarre happenings but has anybody any simple explanation for the following?

Car is 1.9 n/a D, runs reasonably well, but the other night refused to stop after key was was turned and withdrawn. The headlights were on main beam at the time. Turn the headlights off and engine stops immediately.

Checked again today and the 'fault' or should I say 'quirk' is fully repeatable!
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

The wires to the main lights and the stop solenoid appear to have a physical contact at some point.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Probably pigeons nesting in the fusebox...
I have zero patience for your tedium.
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

i'd look closer at the brown cable or maybe the green.
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

I have a better electrical gremlin on the BX. Whilst testing and retesting for intermittent issue today I inadvertently removed the positive battery cable (very) momentarily in an attempt to stop the motor..It didn't stop the motor (no surprrize) but when i went back to the car's cabin the park brake warning light was working for the first time ever.. Turning off the car it never worked again!!
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
pmh
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pmh »

I have solved the problem, but only by disabling the dimdip facility by removing the dimdip relay!
Looking at BoL circuit diagram it would appear that the fuel cut off solenoid is being held open ( ie operated) from the current passing thro the coil of the dimdip relay - derived from the lighting circuit. This appears to be a design failing, as the inclusion of a single diode could overcome the problem.

It maybe that the original spec of the solenoid was such that the solenoid would not hold under reduced current conditions or just that the tolerance issues are at the their limits.

It would be interesting if anybody else with a K registered car has experienced a similar problem.

Many thanks to mat fenwick who could tell me where the relay was hidden.