MK 1 Wheel

BX Tech talk
Mothman

MK 1 Wheel

Post by Mothman »

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct wheel for a MK 1.
Sophie has 4 alloys and this as a spare. The tyre on it is a 185/70/14 michelin. It has 4 metal tubes/washers welded over the holes through which the studs fit.
Thanks

Andy[img][img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd12 ... e077-1.jpg[/img][/img]
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

That's a BX 16v steel spare wheel for cars equipped with alloy wheels (hence the spacers for the longer bolts)
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I would imagine that is the correct spare for a car originally fitted with factory alloys, the spacers make it into a dummy alloy.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

...but it may well be that Citroen used the same, or a similar looking spare wheel (unless anyone knows differently) on other BXs when fitted with alloys.
Andy, are your wheel bolts conical where they contact the wheel or are they flat with an integral washer? If it does turn out to be the wrong wheel, I'd be interested!

EDIT - You beat me to it Kevan (and in less words!)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for your very prompt replies guys.

I can understand the need for the spacers now.

Ile check the wheel bolts and let you know Mat.

Andy
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If they are the flat type then I would be confident that's the correct spare for your car - but I've only seen the Speedline type of BX alloy so that's the only one I know uses the flat bolts.

When I bought my wheels the guy was breaking a pair of valvers, and he even asked me whether I wanted the spare. I told him I didn't need it, as I had 4 spare wheels, not realising the difference! :oops: I now have to carry around a set of the conical wheel bolts for my normal spare wheel...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Roverman wrote:That's a BX 16v steel spare wheel for cars equipped with alloy wheels (hence the spacers for the longer bolts)
Tim ! The wheel is not just specific to/for a 16V model :roll:

It's just a Standard steel spare wheel (Fitted with the integral flat faced spacer) to complement a BX model that has the factory fitted/type Speed-line Alloy wheels and negates the need to carry four conical featured/faced type stud-bolts if you were tempted to use a standard type steel rim (as a spare wheel) without the integral spacer :!:

More info on the flat-faced stud-bolts (C/W a flat washer) LINK #1 and LINK #2 , I hope it may be of help to clarify does and don't too :!:

:)

Last edited by RxBX on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Ile check tomorrow Mat. For now i have a spare MK 2 wheel as the MK1 tyre is buggered, with a set of MK 2 bolts in the spares box in the motor just in case.

A real pity you turned down the spare wheel. I have learned never to turn down anything like that ever offered to me cos you just never know whether you will need it.

Good hunting.

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

RxBX wrote:
Roverman wrote:That's a BX 16v steel spare wheel for cars equipped with alloy wheels (hence the spacers for the longer bolts)

Ok so it for a hurricane and Gti 4x4 too then :roll:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Sorry Mat, went into the garage on the excuse of looking for a decent bottle of red and found the tyre spanner. The bolts are flat and have an integral washer so it looks like the spare is original to the vehicle. :oops:

Good source of info from all of you so many thanks.
Found the red, :D .

Andy
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Grenman wrote:...........................

Andy
No worries Andy, but I hope it was THIS type of Red !

:lol:

Mothman

Post by Mothman »

RxBX wrote:
Grenman wrote:...........................

Andy
No worries Andy, but I hope it was THIS type of Red !

:lol:

No, fraid not bud, just a bottle of merlot. Cant drink lager/beer any more cos of the diet.

Andy
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Ah, my kind of red then. Enjoy! ~wine~

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Prefer a nice Rioja myself drunk
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scooters »

Km
RxBX wrote:

It's just a Standard steel spare wheel (Fitted with the integral flat faced spacer) to complement a BX model that has the factory fitted/type Speed-line Alloy wheels and negates the need to carry four conical featured/faced type stud-bolts if you were tempted to use a standard type steel rim (as a spare wheel) without the integral spacer :!:

More info on the flat-faced stud-bolts (C/W a flat washer) LINK #1 and LINK #2 , I hope it may be of help to clarify does and don't too :!:

This is interesting...when I saw that spare wheel it took me back 40 years. It is exactly the same solid light grey spare that was supplied with Dads DS Safari. I remember it vividly because it was so unusual having a spare that was different from the road wheels.
1991 BX16 TGS Meteor (arriving soon)
1996 306 TD
1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Quadcam