Extending Plip Range

BX Tech talk
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

So how do we get an IR plip to travel 10metres like some claims on here? I know it is possible with RF plips but never heard of an IR traveling 10 metres before?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Defender110 wrote:So how do we get an IR plip to travel 10metres like some claims on here? I know it is possible with RF plips but never heard of an IR traveling 10 metres before?
Well, the technology is obviously capable of more than a few feet - think of your TV remote. LEDs do drop in output over time but we're talking hundreds of thousands of hours, so unlikely to be that. Battery life, and poor transmission of the beam through the window are the only other things I can think of; might try it with an open window to see if there's any difference. But so long as I can unlock it before I actually get to the door, that's all I need so I'm not massively bothered either way.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

I took mine apart and cleaned it, especially behind the plastic window that covers the LED, and the LED itself... Made a surprising difference. Still not great, but it works from a couple of feet away. It's better than using the key, especially if your hands are full!

Although my drivers door doesn't unlock with it, but that's a different story... :wink:
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mat_fenwick wrote:
Defender110 wrote:So how do we get an IR plip to travel 10metres like some claims on here? I know it is possible with RF plips but never heard of an IR traveling 10 metres before?
Well, the technology is obviously capable of more than a few feet - think of your TV remote. LEDs do drop in output over time but we're talking hundreds of thousands of hours, so unlikely to be that. Battery life, and poor transmission of the beam through the window are the only other things I can think of; might try it with an open window to see if there's any difference. But so long as I can unlock it before I actually get to the door, that's all I need so I'm not massively bothered either way.
Quite right Mat! :D The longer the distance, the more critical the position and angle aiming of the plip need to be. So most of us will use it close to the car when the acceptance angle is not so critical.
The most critical angle is when opening the tailgate. The plip has to be aimed through the aerofoil aperture and between the rear headrests. :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

As a bit of an aside, I said I would check to see if I had saved the JPGs from Bob Smith's site. I couldn't find them, so as I have just done the job I've jotted down a quick guide on how to do it.

Regarding the range, I wonder if the advances in LED technology mean it would be worth swapping the IR LED in the fob? So long as it has a similar forward voltage and operating current, it should give more output without any downsides.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mat_fenwick wrote: Regarding the range, I wonder if the advances in LED technology mean it would be worth swapping the IR LED in the fob? So long as it has a similar forward voltage and operating current, it should give more output without any downsides.
That sounds to be a valid hypothesis Mat. 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Sounds like a good idea to me, do your's first Mat and if it works out i'll post you my fob :?: :wink: :lol:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

After doing a bit of research it seems like IR LEDs of that era would have probably had a maximum output in the region of 15-30mW. If we limit the search to LEDs of the same size then it's not difficult to find some with an output of 150mW (designed for night vision applications).

Getting a more powerful LED means that you can choose one with a wider viewing angle and (hopefully!) still have a reasonable range, so it should mean that it's not so critical exactly where you point it. If you really just want maximum range then it would be better to go for a narrow angle one, which would focus the IR radiation in a tight beam. But that may not be so useful in this application?

The only thing I'm unsure of is the wavelength emitted, and whether it matters to the receiver. Still, at under a fiver for 10 delivered it's not too expensive to find out!

Watch this space...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I measured the voltage at the IR LED in the fob, and found it to be surprisingly low at 0.9V. I didn't know if this is an artificially low figure because the meter is averaging the pulses emitted, so I decided to buy some replacements with a Vf of 1.2 -1.5V (seems to be a fairly typical figure) just to try one. They arrived today but unfortunately do not give any output when in the circuit. I've tested them at 1.5V and they do, so I can only assume the voltage is too low for them to operate when installed.

We do have some better meters at work which are capable of measuring voltage sampling at up to 500 times a second, so will try those to see whether I can get an accurate voltage reading.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I actually have a ripped copy of the above mentioned site. So if anyone needs any thing from it then it is still available, but not online of course unless..................
It could be assimilated into the DIY pages. Which could be done with a little work.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

That sounds a good plan.......Jim, Xac? 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Mat's plan is sound, I expect a useful increase in range could be made.

But I still think an RF fob is superior, because you don't need to point it and it works from 50 feet or so, which an IR device will never be able to do.

Use a remote control alarm, or CPO.co.uk sell a suitable transmitter & receiver pair for about £20, which can be wired to the central locking interface.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Mike E (uk) wrote: But I still think an RF fob is superior, because you don't need to point it and it works from 50 feet or so, which an IR device will never be able to do.
Mike
I can't see that on the basis that you can operate the locks from 50 feet away that that makes the RF fob superior. How far away from the car do you need to operate the locks?

It could also be argued that the IR fob is superior because it offers you extra security, as:
1) After locking the car, you cannot accidentally unlock it again by inadvertently pressing the button when in you pocket.
2) If a stranger nicks your keys when in the pub with a view to nicking a car, your car will not flash "Hey I'm here" identification (as is the norm for RF) when the fob is pressed in the car park! :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto