BXoken again; ignition barrel

BX Tech talk
Boxwolf
BXpert

BXoken again; ignition barrel

Post by Boxwolf »

Last night the beloved TXD's ignition barrel decided, during starting the engine, that it no longer wanted to be an ignition barrel and would instead like to be left alone.

The result of this was the key jammed in position between the run/start points and no persuasion, gentle or hammer-led would make the damn thing move.

Being stuck in this position has drained the battery, and also made it incredibly difficult to remove the offending component as the locking pin was firmly engaged. Enter the end of a screwdriver and a hammer, and the siezed solid barrel, complete with permanently attached key is now free.

Problem is I now need to find another barrel...
1992 BX TXD Turbo
Boxwolf
BXpert

Post by Boxwolf »

I have secured a replacement barrel now :) I will just need to fit it once it arrives (fingers crossed everything will work fine and not put up a fight)

Hopefully will be BXck on the road soon!
1992 BX TXD Turbo
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Hi bud,

if you have sourced a complete unit with new key etc, its an easy fit once you have pulled out the old one and disconected all the wiring etc. I have assumed you have removed everything around the steering wheel. Takes a bit longer to put all the bits back though as i have had to do it. Now have a different key to start the motor but, hey, its much easier than replacing all the barrels on the rest of the motor. Ok, purists may not like it and feel the need to do the lot but i feel life is to short to wory about perfection, rather have a beer.

Andy