question about rear spheres and pipes

BX Tech talk
Nat
Confirmed BX'er

question about rear spheres and pipes

Post by Nat »

Hi

I'm in the process of replacing all the pipes in the rear subframe and surroundings, I have the subframe off and the only to pipes that remain are the two connected to the spheres on the underside and pointing sideways.

in the pictures below you can see where the 3.5mm pipes connect, I've cut them off while trying to undo the bolt.

My question is: whats the best way to get to these pipes? is it worth taking the spheres off and can I put them back after? if so do they just un-screw?

secondly it's looking like I'm going to need to drill the 3.5mm pipes out but being I can't get a drill to them I was thinking of taking the pipes marked "larger pipe" in pink off and then taking the housing for the spheres off allowing me to drill them out on a bench where I can get to them, is this a good idea? will the larger pipe come off? break? can I get replacements?

thanks

1991 BX 4X4 GTI back on the road :)
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: question about rear spheres and pipes

Post by Way2go »

Nat wrote:
My question is: whats the best way to get to these pipes? is it worth taking the spheres off and can I put them back after? if so do they just un-screw?

secondly it's looking like I'm going to need to drill the 3.5mm pipes out but being I can't get a drill to them I was thinking of taking the pipes marked "larger pipe" in pink off and then taking the housing for the spheres off allowing me to drill them out on a bench where I can get to them, is this a good idea? will the larger pipe come off? break? can I get replacements?
As the spheres are designed to be replaceable, they should just unscrew. (A sphere tool or good quality strap wrench will be needed)

Wrt the larger pipe, if it follows the norm it should be possible to disconnect ok but care should be exercised in separating to avoid damage, perhaps applying a little WD40 before attempting. New collar sleeve seals would be recommended when reassembling.
1991 BX19GTi Auto