BX Tech talk
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Rear end rising

Post by Defender110 »

The back end of my TGD rises after applying the brakes and coming to a stop at traffic lights etc. With it being an auto I will keep my foot on the brake pedal after stopping and then feel the car going up at the back end, could this be a doseur valve problem? I think I read somewhere it mihjt also be the rear brakes that need bleeding, any ideas appreciated?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Yes, I had this feature many moons ago, twas air in the system.

Turned out to be a nitrogen leaking sphere.

Check all corner spheres for a consistent bounce.
Time the ticks on the pressure regulator for the accumulator sphere.

May give you a clue.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Thanks Brian. The car drives fine but every time I stop at some lights I see people pointing and laughing thinking it's some sort of stunt car!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Tim's TZD has the same problem, I think the above diagnosis is correct.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

ken newbold wrote:Tim's TZD has the same problem, I think the above diagnosis is correct.
I wish I hadnt bought that car! so I need a new accu spheres aswell as a gearbox, welding........
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It'll be worth it Tim! Sounds like it's a decent enough BX - and once sorted perfect for the CCC2012.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Roverman wrote:
ken newbold wrote:Tim's TZD has the same problem, I think the above diagnosis is correct.
I wish I hadnt bought that car! so I need a new accu spheres aswell as a gearbox, welding........
No, I think your old rear spheres are what leaked into the system, you just need the rear brakes bleeding. and a gearbox and welding :oops:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

ken newbold wrote:
Roverman wrote:

No, I think your old rear spheres are what leaked into the system, you just need the rear brakes bleeding. and a gearbox and welding :oops:
Ok when do you want it back then! :wink:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

It's because being an auto you aren't releasing the brakes once you've stopped. The rear suspension actually dips a bit when you brake (most cars dive, but of course the BX has anti-dive) and due to the layout of the suspension you find the suspension compresses slightly as you slow down and stop. When that happens, the rear height corrector is probably noticing that and compensating by trying to raise the rear suspension, but of course it's not ideal because once you release the brakes and the back end is free to return to normal height, it's then raised further by the fact the height corrector thinking that it's being clever.

Unless I've misread your problem, that's what's happening I think. Only way to stop it is to get off the brakes as soon as you've stopped, because if you hold the brakes while the rear suspension is trying to get to normal ride height, it'll only think it needs more pressure and keep pumping. If my theory is correct, it'll do it in correlation to how hard you've just pulled up.

Mine does a similar thing (I expect others that can accelerate hard enough do too) in that when you floor it, the back end squats. But if you keep it pinned, over time the back end raises back up as it suddenly assumes you've got something heavy in the boot (you have.....G's!). When you release the throttle, the back end shoots up in the air only to find itself out of bed way up high. You know it's done it because you suddenly find your headlamps pointing at the road 3 feet in front of you.

I've just decided, this is a new performance test for BXs - if you can't confuse your rear suspension under acceleration, your engine isn't powerful enough and needs more beans.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Kitch wrote: I've just decided, this is a new performance test for BXs - if you can't confuse your rear suspension under acceleration, your engine isn't powerful enough and needs more beans.
Even my diesel will do that!

Tend to agree though, Phoenix is the same, and an auto, if you just stop apply the handbrake and release the service brakes, no issue, if you hold it on the service brakes then the back does indeed rise as the HC thinks the car is too low (which it is a bit) then you release the brakes and it raises too far and has to settle again.

My valver does the same thing if you really pull up in a hurry.
I imagine the diesel is the same aswell, but I never puch it hard enough to find out!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

It will be gas in the rear suspension.

When mine has been stood for a while without being driven, the gas creaps into the rear suspension.

I have replaced the spheres, but apart from bleeding the rear brakes I have found no cure, and the gas will appear again after a few months.

so I am watching with interest for a cure.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Mike E (uk) wrote:It will be gas in the rear suspension.

When mine has been stood for a while without being driven, the gas creaps into the rear suspension.

I have replaced the spheres, but apart from bleeding the rear brakes I have found no cure, and the gas will appear again after a few months.

so I am watching with interest for a cure.

Mike
Yes it is deffinately gas in the system I tried to bleed it out of the brakes and did get some out but it has gone again. I can drive my TZD exactly the same and that doesn't rise at the back at all and you can feel the rear brakes when stopping hard where you cant on the TGD, it is more likely to lock the front wheels before the rears take any real effect.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Is that an indication of a fault with a sphere? Or is this just happen gradually overtime? If the leak is minor, i wouldn't have thought it would have affected much & wouldn't the nitrogen eventually end up in the lhm tank & as such it would be getting vented out?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.