Speedometer head gearing speed errors

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

Speedometer head gearing speed errors

Post by kiwi »

Talking to Alan Skelner in HamiltonNZ who is a great source of second hand ^^ ^^ parts.

I asked him about a speedometer error that is evident with the TZS being 15 kph than the TXD. Now this problem with the TZS I have done to death explaining here basically the problem is most likely, correction the only possible place is the gearing of the spindle that goes into the gearbox.

What Alan discovered is that those errors are caused by the number of splines on the spindle shaft and the colour of the spindle! So while I have the gearbox out for the clutch I intend to look at what is in that one.

It being a Diesel in NZ we dont pay tax at the pump but as Road User Charges per Km/Mile. In a petrol overreading the actual speed/distance is fine but costlky to diesels :?

Ideally I would like to swap the TZS spindle to the TXD a cost saving :wink: but given past experiments with changing the dashboard head that may cause an issue with the current speedometer and I would hate to lose my MPH display in the TXD. At this stage might just settle for it to be closer to correct with the spindle out of the old 16RS gearbox.

So next time you got your gearbox off have a look at the speedometer spindle is it white or black and how many splines has it got?

its either 19 or 21 splines apparently.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91