exhaust manifold to pipe seal - advice needed!!

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

exhaust manifold to pipe seal - advice needed!!

Post by tim »

The White One (19TXD) has been blowing gas for a while and I decided to get on with changing the front pipe section before it turns winter. Getting it off was OK: problem 1 was the old 'knitted' seal which probably had never been changed - I had to chop it off from underneath. The other BIG problem was the woven replacement which I got following the recommendation from this 'ere site. It don't fit! It didn't push over the stub and try as I might I couldn't get the bastard to slip on; it pushed over the new pipe end OK but working it to and fro on that didn't help matters. I finally got it on most of the way, so hoping that the new pipe would squeeze it up (knowing in my soul that it probably wouldn't) I fitted the pipe but it was so far away from the flange I couldn't get the nuts over the bolts to even start compressing the seal.
Question 1 - any ideas as to the part? I'm sure the parts boys computer said it was for BX but the packet says Nova/Rover/Civic and is made by Karius, part no GNG12AG / 410140. It so NEARLY fits but just won't. It's only a millitad too small but woven stuff has no give whatsoever.
And 2 - I noticed that the new pipe has a bit of pipe sticking into the flared section. The old one doesn't, the pipe is fully relieved down inside. The seal fits over this little protrusion OK but I wonder if this would bottom out on the stub before the seal was fully crushed - thoughts? I would grind it off anyway but I don't have a grinder that would reach inside the mouth of the port.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

There two bore sizes on BX diesel exhausts, one for 1.7D/1.9D and the other for turbo diesel, me thinks you have the wrong one. Also check you have the right front pipe too, I got one for £15 from my local factors and it was a direct swop.

I bought one for my 19TZD as part of a kit (which I didnt use as the old one was fine and jammed in the manifold), which I then tested against the front pipe of my 1.9 Injection petrol when I fitted a new fitting kit to that as it has a slight blow (turns out to be a hairline crack in the manifold) and it was much too small.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

If I'd been supplied the 'wrong' one you'd think it would be way too small or too large. This is so near to fitting and yet so far. Are the 'different' sizes that close together?? I think the pipe is right - it offers up OK, it's the seal is the problem. If I was able to push the seal fully home then the pipe could be bolted up. I also tried the seal in the pipe before I fitted it and it was fine, no obvious issues. it's a minor difference in internal diameter that's caused all this grief. The crucial problem is that it is too tight on the stub - but not by much. Alas, being woven material you can't file it or tweak it to any sense.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

they can be EXTREMLEY tight to fit.
I reckon you have the right one, if you had a turbo fitting kit it would be far too big.
I've had to fashion a piece of timber and hit them on with a lump hammer before now..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

I did try drifting it on from beneath the car using a long steel bar but this simply flattened the tapered end of the seal. I shall have to get another which might be a bit easier to get on. There is definitely a problem with the pipe though -phone calls tomorrow......
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

Job done - what a pig of a day..... I had to go a few miles to find a guy with a rotary grinder to remove the protruding end of the pipe, just wasn't going to trust it to fit. Then I couldn't get the pipe on enough to engage the nuts on the exhaust bolts, because the seal wasn't fully home. I got another seal this a.m. and tried again - no way was the cowson going to fit. Tight is one thing but this is ridiculous - why can't people make these things properly?? OK, £1.50 a pop but I'd rather pay £5 and have one that is actually fit for purpose..... grrrrr. Bloody rubbish. I had a suspicion this might happen so I'd salvaged the old seal off the scrappy (we got the engine out on Sunday). And that was darn useful.... the car is back on the road again along with a fairly clean engine top half following a good Jizering and careful hosing. So be warned - changing the seal might not be the easy job you'd think it to be!
I also discovered that one of the shouldered collars that fit into manifold to take the bolts was actually missing! Once again, scrappy to the rescue.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Well done bud,

That darned scrapper was worth every penny.

Andy