heater blower problems continue

BX Tech talk
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

heater blower problems continue

Post by scooters »

Yesterday evening I took the BX from Edinburgh to Stirling so the Mrs could collect the replacment for the family car- another Scoob Legacy estate,

It turned out to be a foul night - we have had some serious storms up here for the last week or so and it was no exception - freezinf sleet and torrential rain with very strong (throw you across the motorway type) gusts.

So it was a wipers on full, lights on, heater on and blower on full.

Now there is an earth fault in my blower circuit so that I have had to bridge earth termals 3 and 4 on the PCB. I have uet to carry out the full power PCB mod.

Anyway, blower packed in again - I have yet to check out the fault - the PCB is a recent good replacement...any immediate thoughts - BTW I bench tested the motor last month and the integrity of the wiring loom from blower motor to PCB. The relay on the steering column is working ok.

I suspecy the earthing problems are getting worse - anyone know where the PCB eventually earths to?
1991 BX16 TGS Meteor (arriving soon)
1996 306 TD
1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Quadcam
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I have had to do the earthing bridge mod and when I was doing it I did wonder how long the new earth track would last before burning out like the original. If it is the new earth track I assume you will have lost your heater control illumination now?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

As a temporary(?) repair to prove or disprove the earth, run a decent wire to pin 3 on the multiplug and the other end to a good earth. There is an earthing point under the passenger seat next to the console but from memory the PCB is earthed through the bulkhead to a point just below the battery :roll:

I've done the temporary bodge on a couple of BXs for people, just to get them going. Up to you whether you then want to do a proper job afterwards...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scooters »

mat_fenwick wrote:As a temporary(?) repair to prove or disprove the earth, run a decent wire to pin 3 on the multiplug and the other end to a good earth. There is an earthing point under the passenger seat next to the console but from memory the PCB is earthed through the bulkhead to a point just below the battery :roll:

I've done the temporary bodge on a couple of BXs for people, just to get them going. Up to you whether you then want to do a proper job afterwards...
Thanks

Given the dismal lothian winter the blower is essential so I think your solution is the best for longevity..it would be nice to have lights as well for the heate.. Ill have a look at this later today
1991 BX16 TGS Meteor (arriving soon)
1996 306 TD
1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Quadcam