de-gumming GTi throttle body

BX Tech talk
maxgreenwood
BXpert

de-gumming GTi throttle body

Post by maxgreenwood »

it has been suggested to me that they tend to get a bit gummed up on the GTi. In my current quest for smooth running, Is there anything i should watch out for in taking it apart, and what should i use to clean?
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Cellulose thinners works wonders, use with a semi stiff brush that does not melt.

Watch out for sparks, and don't inhale the fumes..
Good luck
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Or carb cleaner.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: de-gumming GTi throttle body

Post by Way2go »

maxgreenwood wrote:it has been suggested to me that they tend to get a bit gummed up on the GTi. In my current quest for smooth running, Is there anything i should watch out for in taking it apart, and what should i use to clean?
It should not be necessary to take it apart. Clean externally if needed but the important thing is shaft lubrication. :wink: Use 3-in-1 penetrating oil on the shafts first if they are sticking (especially the second butterfly) then follow with 3-in-1 lubricating oil. Check for operation (with engine off) by opening second butterfly by hand and ensure it fully closes by just its spring pressure alone when the first butterfly is at rest. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto