Track Rod Length

BX Tech talk
hvanman
BXpert

Track Rod Length

Post by hvanman »

Hi, the battle with the silver 19RD continues.... I changed both track rod arms, as one side had a lot of play and the other one had a split rubber.

Initially I was sent a LHD one when I purchased a RHD one, but finally received the correct one and today took it to get the tracking done, as despite taking very careful measurements, the tracking was now toeing in by a fair amount (and the steering wheel was no longer pointing dead ahead).

The long and short of the visit was that there was not enough adjustment left to get the tracking to toe out! On closer inspection at home, the RHD track rod is over 5mm longer than the one I removed. I'm surprised that such a small difference in length has resulted in the system now being at the limit of its adjustment, or is there something I am missing?

Both 19mm locknuts are now tight against the 13mm adjusting flats on the rod from the rack, after cleaning the last little bit of thread, resulting in just about 0mm toe out (using a length of string stretched between two axle stands as a simple home check), but the steering wheel is not in the dead ahead position and with no more adjustment I can’t change this. I double checked to make sure that the correct handed track rod was on both side compared to the ones I removed!

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? The steering wheel and tracking were fine before changing the track rods, although I did note when taking the old units off, that one side had very little adjustment left, while the other side had at about 5mm more thread showing.

Thanks, Simon
1954 H Van
1961 2CV AZU
1961 Velosolex
1967 DS19
1981 H Van LWB
1984 Mehari
1992 BX 17 TZD Turbo
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I wouldn't worry about the steering wheel position as that can be reset on the column after your tracking is correct. After all you do not know that it hadn't been previously adjusted.

But, from what you say, the tracking cannot be achieved because you have the wrong part. If you changed the opposite side to balance the lengths would that correct your problem or make it worse? If worse, then that confirms that you are trying to make a square peg fit a round hole!
1991 BX19GTi Auto
hvanman
BXpert

Post by hvanman »

Yes that's a good point, I could adjust the steering wheel.

Sadly, both sides are fully adjusted in, so I can not compensate and at the moment I don't know for sure if it has acheived 0 - 3mm toes out, if not then I guess I need to track down some better track rods, although how you check that in advance I don't know!!
1954 H Van
1961 2CV AZU
1961 Velosolex
1967 DS19
1981 H Van LWB
1984 Mehari
1992 BX 17 TZD Turbo
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I have exactly this problem! Finally found someone else with it - thought I was going mad!

When I fitted a new rack 3 or so eyars ago I couldn't bring the front edge of the wheels out anymore because I'd wound the track rod ends all the way in. Plan is to shave the edge of the track rod end down to give me the extra adjustment, but it is a pain in the ass. They're Lemforder rods BTW.

Still haven't done it though! The outer edge of my tyres isn't great, but I have got the wheel still pointing dead ahead. Toeing in usually aids stability, but increases fuel economy and tyre wear, where as toeing out too much wrecks the inner edge of the tyre and makes the car less stable. Upshot is it's a bit twitchy, but overall I've not noticed too much, other than my tyre wear. I will sort it soon though.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I've had this a couple of times with Lemforder TRE's now. Genuine ones are shorter, for why I have no idea..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Easy enough to chop a bit off the end of the rod, surely? Make sure you take it off the right end though! :lol:
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
hvanman
BXpert

Post by hvanman »

I had thought of that, but need to check that the thread goes up far enough inside to stop the rod bottoming out...

I'm hoping that thanks to the very handy laser level, self-tracking guide in the Technical FAQ section, I may have got it pretty close now, it certainly is drivable again, but on the limit of adjustment...... When I can find somewhere local "capeable" of doing the tracking I will get it confirmed.
1954 H Van
1961 2CV AZU
1961 Velosolex
1967 DS19
1981 H Van LWB
1984 Mehari
1992 BX 17 TZD Turbo