reservoir return pipe - where's it go? Advice please.....

BX Tech talk
Gary
BXpert

Post by Gary »

No 15 is where the steering ram would be, the square block next to the number is just to show that there is two options ,the one on the left is 1987 onwards and the one on the right is up to 1987.
The earlier car will not have the t piece or pipe on the lhm tank.
I know it's a big ask but any chance of a picture of the pipe and it's position.
Have you looked at the steering ram and does it have a pipe comming off of the small rubber gaiter at the end of the ram body?
If it has it follows along the subframe to the o/s then under the steering rack and up to the tank with the other pipes.
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

Hi - sorry I can't do digital on this computer. But as I said, the photo above is exactly right and what I have. I am now told that the pipe DOES go to the ram gaiter. As I wasn't looking for a gaiter takeoff I drove straight up the ramps just now and leapt underneath with a torch hoping to see something. Nuffink. It must be on the topside somewhere...Did a ten mile test run today and nothing popped off or leaked. Apparently this ram takeoff won't dribble much normally so this will have to wait until the weather improves (just had some lightning) - any ideas where on the gaiter the pipe goes?? i.e. left side or right side, there are two gaiters there, and on top, in front etc...? If I look at the engineless scrappy at the weekend it might give a clue.
Gary
BXpert

Post by Gary »

Hi Tim
Acouple of pictures of a steering ram taken from underneath on the n/s of the car,as you can see mine has a slight leak.
And one taken from above the gearbox
hope this helps.
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

Oh, digital joys..... thanks Gary. I will have another look tomorrow morning as the car is still parked on the ramps. I was STILL looking in the wrong place.