suspension and brake confusion

BX Tech talk
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I'm watching this thread with interest as I too struggle bleeding the back brakes on my TGD. I took the wheels off to ease getting at the bleed nipples and rested the hubs on big wooden blocks to simulate the car being on the ground. When I released the nipples virtually nothing came out, I was trying to bleed the trapped nitrogen bubbles out of the system to stop rear end rise and I did get a bit out before an extremely slow trickle of LHM, in fact tricle is a bit strong more like a slow seep????
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Nat
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Nat »

well, seems the callipers were blocked in one direction or something, swapped them to other side of car and one is now bleeding fine and working, the other is still blocked and wont bleed, but it does now work with the callipers travelling in against the disc, just nothing coming out of the bleed hole :(

seems there must be something blocking that hole somewhere :(

I do get a very high flow rate now, especially with wooden blocks under the wheels.

Just went to do a little fine adjustment on the height corrector and found it leaking. Assuming it to be problem with one of the joins I reached up to tighten just as the rubber end cap popped off and oil poured out of the seal. Not so impressed with this reconditioned part... hummm time to try and fix the old one
1991 BX 4X4 GTI back on the road :)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

sounds to me like you are clutching at straws, as its very unlikely the callipers would be blocked,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Defender110 wrote:I'm watching this thread with interest as I too struggle bleeding the back brakes on my TGD. I took the wheels off to ease getting at the bleed nipples and rested the hubs on big wooden blocks to simulate the car being on the ground. When I released the nipples virtually nothing came out, I was trying to bleed the trapped nitrogen bubbles out of the system to stop rear end rise and I did get a bit out before an extremely slow trickle of LHM, in fact tricle is a bit strong more like a slow seep????
Did you have the engine running at the same time?
They think it's all over, it is now!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

citronut wrote:sounds to me like you are clutching at straws, as its very unlikely the callipers would be blocked,

regards malcolm
I've never known the calipers block either. But the nipples get blocked to the point where I've had to clear them out with a drill bit.
They think it's all over, it is now!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Interesting thread, i didn't have any probs bleeding paul296's rear brakes, plenty of flow. I wonder if Ken has hit the nail on the head with regard to a blocked up bleed nipple?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

ken newbold wrote:
Defender110 wrote:I'm watching this thread with interest as I too struggle bleeding the back brakes on my TGD. I took the wheels off to ease getting at the bleed nipples and rested the hubs on big wooden blocks to simulate the car being on the ground. When I released the nipples virtually nothing came out, I was trying to bleed the trapped nitrogen bubbles out of the system to stop rear end rise and I did get a bit out before an extremely slow trickle of LHM, in fact tricle is a bit strong more like a slow seep????
Did you have the engine running at the same time?
Yes, i'll have to check the nipples but thet appear almost like new and undid very easily.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
Nat
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Nat »

I put two new bleed nipples in because the only way to get the old ones out was with a drill :(

but finally the car is back together, just in time for the MOT tomorrow :S will see what I forgot to put back together when they come back tomorrow with a long list of problems no doubt hahaha

oh well, hears hoping to success :) its driving nicely again though although I noticed a very small hole blowing on the exhaust so may need some welding, bit annoying as I got a stainless fitted last xmas and the tiny bit of mild left at the front developed a hole :( will see what they say.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

fingers and kniples crossed for the MOT then

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Nat
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Nat »

well all my work got through the MOT. Maybe I should have got round to welding up the jacking points earlier :( they got through last year so assumed they'd be ok again hahaha, oh well. just a little welding to do.
philhod
BXpert

Post by philhod »

I have 2 long plastic pipes that run from the nipples to the reservoir.
I always follow this procedure and have never had any trouble bleeding the rears on any of the 5 cars I've had over the years.
Start up handbrake on, put in high, crack open nipples and attach pipes. drop to normal open nipples a further turn. place 3x2 stone flag in boot.
Get someone to sit in and keep foot on brake. You can then watch the flow of green being delivered back to the rese
After letting it flow for a couple of minutes or 3, into high, nip up the nips, remove pipes and hold up to drain into rese. Finally top up if nec and back to normal.
Switch off job done, not forgetting to remove said 3x2 flag from boot.

The only problem I ever had with the rear brakes is swelling of the joint where the calliper bolts to the arm, due to corrosion, which pushes the calliper out of line with the disc, causing wedge shaped pads. Removal thorough clean and refit with coppaslip between cures all.
67 and still rockin (but not in a chair)
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickster665 »

With the method outlined by Philhod doesn't some of the antique fluid that has been sitting unchanged in rear brake dead legs end up in the fluid reservoir that you have recently refreshed with new LHM? Or is the quantity so small in volumetric terms that it doesn't really matter?

This post is not intended to be inflammatory, I have seen this method outlined before and wondered about the point I have made.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

..that_
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Knowing Phil, it's unlikely to be that old in the brake lines, but I would imagine that the volume is insignificant. Although I don't like the idea of dirtying fresh fluid either!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Nat wrote: Maybe I should have got round to welding up the jacking points earlier :( they got through last year so assumed they'd be ok again hahaha, oh well. just a little welding to do.
the answer to this would have bin never use factory jacking points to lift the car :roll: :shock: :lol: :wink:

or let micky moooouse tyre shops just blindly sling a jack under the car not knowing what they are jacking on :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have