suspension and brake confusion

BX Tech talk
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Dickster665 wrote:With the method outlined by Philhod doesn't some of the antique fluid that has been sitting unchanged in rear brake dead legs end up in the fluid reservoir that you have recently refreshed with new LHM?
I suppose if you did a proper LHM change first getting rid of all the old LHM this would then be good practice as a periodic brake bleed to ensure no trapped nitrogen in the brake system from leaking spheres. In fact the more I think about it the more I like it. :roll: Not sure about the 3x2 flag though. i'll opt for some bricks 2 at atime :)
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Nat
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Nat »

citronut wrote:
Nat wrote: Maybe I should have got round to welding up the jacking points earlier :( they got through last year so assumed they'd be ok again hahaha, oh well. just a little welding to do.
the answer to this would have bin never use factory jacking points to lift the car :roll: :shock: :lol: :wink:

or let micky moooouse tyre shops just blindly sling a jack under the car not knowing what they are jacking on :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:

regards malcolm
so where do you jack from? I have to admit that I don't use the jacking points because there isn't much left to jack form anyway so I don't trust them any more (probably why they failed it...). but I am curious that its normal to avoid using them. it seems odd in my mind to avoid using the points designed for jacking... obviously it has caused the corrosion protection to crack and let in moisture etc but where would be better?
1991 BX 4X4 GTI back on the road :)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i never jack mine or a customers car on any part of the bodyshell,

i only jack on the sub frame's,

if i realy cant get a jack under the sub frames if the suspension is right down,

i use a geared sccisor jack with a block of wood on the strongest bit i can get at, just till i can get the trolley jack under,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Based on 8 years with the same BX, I haven't got any visible corrosion around the jacking points, but I've only ever used the factory jack on them. This does not seem to distort the lip at all, although after having a wheel changed once they used a trolley jack on the sill lip elsewhere, opening up the seam and bending the lip. (I now no longer let anyone else jack up the car, and repaired the seam by filling with Tigerseal, bending back to shape and undersealing).

If I'm using a trolley jack I use the rear of the front subframe, or the rear subframe just inboard of the rear end of the sills. Or a bottle jack under the rear axle tube.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Nat
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Nat »

I'll keep that in mind for future then, seems sensible now you point it out, the sub frame is some what stronger.
1991 BX 4X4 GTI back on the road :)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

or let micky moooouse tyre shops just blindly sling a jack under the car not knowing what they are jacking on
I stopped using the one local place after they picked up my Wartburg by the sills on the lift, straining all the body to chassis mounting points! Luckily the the one I use now (Cam Tyres for those in the area) are very good, asking me where I want them to jack the car up, and using a torque wrench to do the wheel nuts up instead of a gun. They're also happy for me to supply tyres for them to fit if I manage to get them at a good price.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!