Rear Lights on an Estate Intermitent

BX Tech talk
hvanman
BXpert

Rear Lights on an Estate Intermitent

Post by hvanman »

Hi, my son was behind me yesterday and it seems my rear lights on the estate are intermitent. All rear lights can go off and then back on again, maybe after going over a bump? I've had a look behind the N/S lamp and nothing there seems to be causing a problem, are there any other known problem area's?

Many thanks, Simon
1954 H Van
1961 2CV AZU
1961 Velosolex
1967 DS19
1981 H Van LWB
1984 Mehari
1992 BX 17 TZD Turbo
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Sounds like a bad earth. If the connectors and light units themselves are in good condition, then it may be the other end - I think it may be on a stud behind the plastic panel down the side of the boot area, but I'm not certain.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
dyates2

bx tzd estate intermitent rear lights

Post by dyates2 »

hello Simon,
forget a bad earth terminal, the whole thing sounds terminal to me !!!
just think if the old bill spots it.points on your licence, a fine or worse......cut your loses now simon, sell it (to me!!)

seriously, bad earth is indeed your starting point.
i would suspect if both sides were going off and on together, there must be a shared earth. find it,clean it and if need be, remake it. it this fails run a new,good earth to the lamps to see if that helps. also that red estate had a tow bar. check how it is wired into the rear light loom.
Were the lights going off and on together when you did something else? such as indicated or pressed the brake pedal? if so even more likeley an earthing issue.Note though, i have had cars where rear light bulb holder problems have affected both sides when indicating or braking.
Happy hunting.
Daren
hvanman
BXpert

Post by hvanman »

Hi, thanks for the replies. I discovered that the lights on warning was also not working whenever the rear lights were faulty, so after a slight red herring with the fuse box, I discovered that the steering column switch was the culprit. I've given it a good dosing in contact cleaner and a work out and will watch things carefully.

I did take apart a spare old one and discovered what a pain they are to get back together, so won't strip this one unless I have no choice....

I also discovered that whoever designed the assorted plastic mouldings around the steering column was clearly on some form of drugs.... working on a DS is so much easier...
1954 H Van
1961 2CV AZU
1961 Velosolex
1967 DS19
1981 H Van LWB
1984 Mehari
1992 BX 17 TZD Turbo