Whats this on the front of my Mk1 DTR engine?

BX Tech talk
Mothman

Whats this on the front of my Mk1 DTR engine?

Post by Mothman »

I have this think on the front of my 1986 Mk1s diesel engine.
Looks like its for some sort of electronic engine monitoring system but as its not connected to anything i wonder why it was ever put there. The poor old girl dosnt have a brain [like me these days] and i wonder if all earlier motors just had them fitted as standard.

Andy[img][img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd12 ... re1510.jpg[/img][/img]
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Here is another piccy with the port opened.

Andy[img][img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd12 ... re1511.jpg[/img][/img]
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Not got anything like that on mine, though there is a similar sort of box attached to the nearside inner wing which I think is the relay for the glow plugs.
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

'tis the diagnostic test socket, predecessor to the Lexia sockets on later Citroens etc. Of not much use to DIYers as only the dealer had the kit to access it.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Trouble is, i wonder why its there as there is nothing to diagnose and its not connected to anything. There are 2 leads coming from it but there's nothing for them to connect to. Think ile probably remove it as its not doing anything.

Thanks

Andy
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

This is what Haynes say about it but I only have the petrol Haynes book it will be different in the diesel:

The Citroen BX range of models is fitted with a diagnostic test socket for elecronic monitoring of engine performance and ignition system condition. Although this facility is of no use to the home mechanic it does enable a suitably equipped garage to make a quick assessment and with greater accuracy than the usual procedures.
With the appropriate equipment the following checks or adjustments can be made.
a) Primary (LT) circuit condition.
b) Setting initial advance.
c) Centrifugal and vacuum advance curves.
d) Engine speed.
bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

What,s this on the front of my MK 1 DTR en

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear Andy
I can remember in 1986 when I worked on Citroen,s Andy. We used
to have a " Souriou " plug in engine diagnostic engine tuner :wink: we
used to use it as it had an osciloscope for reading dwell angles, and it
had spark firing resistances etc.etc. Very big engine tuner, didn,t do
that much though :!:
Hope that helps Andy.
Vince
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Cheers Vince,

this is a diesel so i wonder why it was fitted? It is just bolted onto the front of the engine with 2 loose unattached connections. Maybe they all just came like that. Cant think what it would be used for, timing perhaps?

Andy
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

Andy - are there any wires connected to the back of the connector? If so, can you figure out where they go to?
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

sdelasal wrote:Andy - are there any wires connected to the back of the connector? If so, can you figure out where they go to?
Hi bud,

no, there's nothing connected to it, thats why i wondered why its there.
Its pretty manky so i reccon its always been there and there's nothing obvious that it could have been connected with. Mind you, with a 26 year old motor these could have been removed long time ago.

Andy
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

it would, at one time, have been connected to the TDC sensor.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
dyates2

Post by dyates2 »

God, that socket brings back memories. i had a very original 1985 peugeot 305(remember them?) with an xud7,. 1769cc engine in it.
it was my 1st pug and my 1st diesel.It needed everything doing and i did it !! it is indeed an early form of diagnostics socket. I know because i got my dad to ask a garage owner friend of his. the use was limited to main dealers as at the time only they had the kit.
the main(or only if i remember rightly) use was to accurately monitor engine speed(1769cc had no rev counter)-when something with the diesel pump. on my car, that white cable was attached to a similar but black cable coming out of the alternator loom. deffo all set up and ready to be used !!
I have a pic somewhere of an early,bare xud7 that was motor mag prepared by PSA that had the socket. It was located in different places on different PSA engines. A mag i have for the pug 205 shows just the bracket-mounted on top of the rocker cover.
daren