BX Tech talk
crb
BXpert
My Cars: BX 1.9D Meteor
Saab 9-3 1.9TD Estate

Heater fan control disc

Post by crb »

Hi All,
I've stripped down my heater controls in the car - usual non operational fan speed control - getting ready to have a clean and do the wiring mod. I popped the white disc off and was giving it a wipe over and noticed that I'm missing any form of contact on the back of the disc :?

Can anyone give me a clue for a fix or what it should look like, I didn't see anything fall off it?

Also the earth contact (no. 3) for the fan controls is defunct, but at least the relay works when connected to earth giving a super fast fan.

Many thanks
Colin
Colin - Returning to BX's for the challenge.

BX19 TGD Meteor 1991
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the wiper/contact is very small and from memory it only lays in between the white disc and the PCB, so can fall out when you have your back turned,

the usual fault is the speed control resistor/board, which is in the fitted in the N/S rear face of the fan houseing,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
crb
BXpert
Saab 9-3 1.9TD Estate

Post by crb »

Thanks Malcolm, can't find the contacts for the back of the disc anywhere in the car!

The fan runs really well when connected to the panel lighting earth circuit. I'll have another play at the weekend.

Cheers

BX19 TGD Meteor 1991
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

crb wrote:Thanks Malcolm, can't find the contacts for the back of the disc anywhere in the car!
The fan runs really well when connected to the panel lighting earth circuit. I'll have another play at the weekend.

Cheers

Well surely if the fan is now working off the lighting earth the little contactor bridge must still be in there then to make the circuit?

EDIT:

I have a spare heater back that I will pull apart and try and upload a picture of the bridge for you (it is only tiny as Malcolm has said)
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
crb
BXpert
Saab 9-3 1.9TD Estate

Post by crb »

Hi Kevan,
i was shorting it out rather than using the controls - wanted to see if the fan motor was OK or not
Cheers
Colin

BX19 TGD Meteor 1991
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scooters »

the bridge is about 5mm across and is a hoop of brass with a tang at 12 and at six, it is slighly bent at a 20 degree angle and on each tang is a small nipple (fnarr fnarr) the bend in the hoop gives the tension to hold it in place and one nipple runs along the outer contact on the PCB the other on the inner - it is a very easy bit to lose and may have fallen into the innards of the central console.

I will have a look as I might have a spare ring - I'll come back to you tomorrow.

BTW it will be easier to source a new PCB rather than the ring itself - I don't know if Citroen still stock them but the white knb and the conducter ring seem to come with the PCB.

I do not think it would be too tricky to fabricate somthing more suitable - I would suggest the brushes from a hornby model train could be fabricated to a better design - or some cunningly bent conductive brass.
1991 BX16 TGS Meteor (arriving soon)
1996 306 TD
1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Quadcam
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Hi Colin

Hopefully here are 2 pictures of the 2 different types fitted (Eledasa & Chausson) to give you an idea of what you are looking for. Sorry for the poor quality, they were taken on my phone but do zoom up quite well to show the bridging contacts.

Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
crb
BXpert
Saab 9-3 1.9TD Estate

Post by crb »

Kevan, scooters you are stars - that is just what I needed to know - many thanks. I can confirm that their are no nipples on the back of my disc (ooeer matron! :lol: )
Cheers
Colin

Quick edit - mines the Eledasa

BX19 TGD Meteor 1991