Juddery steering

BX Tech talk
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Juddery steering

Post by Dollywobbler »

The steering has gone very juddery on the BX - when turning the wheel and not moving forward. Sure it didn't do that before. Raising the revs doesn't seem to make it any better/worse, but on the drive home yesterday, I felt that the power assistance was not exactly consistent.

This is probably my own fault because the steering rack gaiters have not yet been replaced. I do know one track rod has play in it, so there's a bit of an overhaul job to be done there. Can't understand why the judder though. Test was conducted on three surfaces. Concrete, gravel and rock.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Old LHM?

Pump is knackered?

FDV Blocked?

My money is on the pump :cry: But you could be lucky & it might just be old lhm which is cheap & easyish to sort out.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Is the pump belt tight enough? Could be slipping and snatching under steering demand.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Weak pump. Be wary if using Hydraflush though while you're trying different avenues - it can cause all sorts of shit. I lost my PAS completely due to it.
I've got an old diesel pump laying around in the garage somewhere. If you stick a pic up I'll see if it's the same....you can have it if it's any good.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

We've had the Hydraflush debate before, and I think the stuff's great (cured a steering issue on my previous BX). Could well be a weak pump, though I still haven't done anything about what I think is an iffy regulator as I can't see where I'm meant to access this magical ball bearing.

Could that be causing the steering issue?
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scooters »

same problem on Mrs S's Subaru Ian, worn PS pump belt was the problem - some and it was only a month old - suspect dodgey aftermarket rubbish!!!

try wanging on some belt slip spray first, might cure it before taking the pump to bits
1991 BX16 TGS Meteor (arriving soon)
1996 306 TD
1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Quadcam
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Wouldn't have thought the regulator would cause it. How is it rising and braking etc?

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Braking seems ok. When started after the welding work, it did take several minutes to rise. The pump just wasn't kicking in - like when you've done work on the hydraulics. Eventually, wheel-waggling and brake pedal pressing got it to rise up. I know BXs don't like being jacked up and always sulk afterwards, but this was much worse than I expected. I don't think the pump was at fault because I don't think the pump was actually being asked to pump. I guess I'd better check the fluid level...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Not level, though it was low. I think the pump belt tension is worth consideration as the engine note is changing as the steering power changes. Just went for a test drive - hairy stuff indeed when the PAS kicks in mid-bend!
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Well if the engine note changes as you apply steering lock it suggests the engine is being loaded by the pump as you would expect. At least that's what happens on a normal car. Can't say I've had a BX that does that, but is does mean the pump is securely connected to the engine IMO. If the belt was slipping, the engine would shrug off more of the load of the HP pump.

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Belt tension wasn't superb, so I've redone that but all is far from well. The BX is taking an absolute age to pressurise the system and rise up, even with raised revs. I'm fortunate enough to have a couple of BX owners (past and present) visiting next weekend, so will see if we can find the fault. The pump is still cutting in every second with raised revs and running continuously at tickover - as it has done since I bought the car and with two different pumps fitted. Ball bearing in the pressure regulator has yet to be reseated - but I don't know where it is and don't have a drift. This is what we'll focus on next weekend.

To add to my woes, the boot slammed shut at one point and now won't shut properly. I've no idea what's happened.

I then fitted the bumper clip that J kindly sent over from the Isle of Man. Sadly, it had got a bit brittle and I managed to snap one of the retaining pegs off, but it's just-about holding. Certainly better than the one that came off! Thanks J.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Dollywobbler wrote: To add to my woes, the boot slammed shut at one point and now won't shut properly. I've no idea what's happened.
You'll probably find that you've bent the "hoop" that engages with the latch out of alignment. This can happen as the tailgate has some flex it it and may not have been "square" when it slammed shut. Just bend the "hoop" back into alignment. (Check also the "tongue" in the latch is open and has not prematurely closed.)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Happens alot on estates at the tailgate is so bloody heavy!

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks. I'll try and straighten it when I get a chance. Turns out my boot struts aren't as good as I thought they were...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

This issue has steadily been getting worse. When the LHM is cold, the steering is very intermittent in its assistance. It's bloody horrible. I'm having to raise the revs to get it to rise at all, and it comes up in a very jerky manner, so duff pump is looking likely.

Wondering where to get a replacement. They don't seem cheap! There's one at LCS Louth on Ebay - £245 and it's been there a long time. Or do I try Pleauieiauoodes?