Kickdown Cable Renewal

BX Tech talk
Way2go
Over 2k

Kickdown Cable Renewal

Post by Way2go »

Driving today onto the M4 the GTi did something it has never done before in that it revved as if out of gear at the change point between 3rd to 4th! Backing off the throttle picked up 4th OK and this continued OK until roadspeed dropped below 38 initiating a satisfactory downshift but on needing the upshift the problem would be apparent each time.

So what was it? I tried to initiate a kickdown for which the car has always been effective and it didn't want to know but engine had power to accelerate which also indicated that the box was transmitting that power without slip in 4th once the rev and back-off had been accomplished.

Checked kickdown cable which initially "looked OK" but did not move around the quadrant when the throttle cable was pulled. Pushed it down off the quadrant and discovered it had fatigued and broken behind the nipple.

Next step, check Haynes BOL and it says 7B*2.8 "Kickdown cable renewal is a task that must be entrusted to your Citroen Dealer." :evil:

Anyone done this job as DIY? Is it really more difficult than the highest spanner rating of Haynes? Looked on the GSF website for cable and none listed (it really is crap these days) none on Euro & none on Ebay - anyone any recommendations on supply?

It's bloody aggravating 'cos I could live temporarily without the kickdown but the cable of course does more than just that so I would prefer to fix it sooner rather than later.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

You can still download the official citroen workshop manual section on the auto from the archive.org site.. bob smith's old site where these pdf's were hosted has gone but the archive of it is there.. there's a link to it in a thread or two late last year...

I can email you the pdf if you like... can't remember if this procedure is in here though but it's the best place to start... I'm sure the doc will know though..
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I did have a brand new one somewhere in the garage from memory, no idea which model it fits, the guy who bought it said there were only two variants, pretty much the same but different lengths.
I've repaired one on a diesel once, like yours it had broken off just behind the nipple, so I used the end from a throttle cable fitted that to the fuel pump and joined it to the rest of the cable with an electrical connector, you know the type with two screws that tighten down onto the wire.
As far as I know it's still there running.

To fit a new one, it means the sump has to come off the gearbox, the cable threaded down through the box and hooked onto a kind of pivoted relay lever, but all this of course has to be done in an upside down situation. :(

Not for me thanks
They think it's all over, it is now!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I too have used Ken's method of using a 5 amp electrical cable block to fix snapped cables, sometimes extending with solid welding wire which often does the job if it doesnt need to bend on the extended piece.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Defender110 wrote:I too have used Ken's method of using a 5 amp electrical cable block to fix snapped cables
Now there's an idea to remember! 8)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Thanks Ken, I think maybe I should think of doing both, firstly using the connector as a temporary repair and then do the proper cable replacement when the weather on the drive has moved away from winter. Connectors I have but I need to look for some throttle cable too to accomplish it.

Strangely I did think of the connector as a bodge but wasn't sure there would be enough room for the connector not to foul the quadrant as the throttle is opened. Also the means of extension was not to hand.

Mildbunch - I would appreciate that. If you find the pdf you mention please pm me if I haven't already sent you my email addy.

This actually is the second time I've been hampered by discontinued parts from Citroen which is rather worrying for the preservation of our BX's. Also naughty of my BX doing this after it's not long been made a present of some nice 6J Speedlines!
1991 BX19GTi Auto
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Hi - Found the link to the archive of rwbsmith site with the PDF's on..

Reminds me I need to clean the filters on my very unloved TZD auto!
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

themildbunch wrote:Hi - Found the link to the archive of rwbsmith site with the PDF's on..
Thanks mildbunch - excellent info to digest. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

Is this the new cable that you would need :?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-2 ... 43ac80052e

Mike P
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

/\ looks like it!
There are inded only 2 variants on the BX, petrol and diesel.
I have a spare diesel one I'm keeping for phoenix.

As Ken says, fitting it is a ballache. Much nicer job with the box out of the car upside down on a clean bench..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Thanks Mike P.

I'm not sure that the cable is right as Main Citroen Dealer checked what I needed against the VIN number for my car. He gave me a part number as 244479 which as you can see has a different last 2 digits.

Anyone able to compare this given number with the 2444A6 offered on the listing?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

or just to confuse the matter even more, mine has the number 2444.88 :?
They think it's all over, it is now!