Ball joint joy

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Ball joint joy

Post by tim »

Busy week.... last week I drove off in the Red One to the glass shop to get some replacement bits after the gales centrepunched the greenhouse. Got halfway, clack-clack-clack on a bend. Got there, more clacks on full lock. Going home, even more clacks. Last three miles, serious judder developing on the steering. Thinks, am I even going to make it? Did. Left hand track rod ball was the culprit, completely fubared. So I changed that, and just as I was wiping my hands, the wife drove up in the White One. "I've got a clacking noise..." Bummer. So round we go again, the right hand one this time. On the plus side I am getting good at doing these.
She drove off next morning, and when she came back she said "you've put the old one back, haven't you?" I could hear her coming - not subtle. Dacca-dacca-dacca-clonk. Oh, MERDE. So in we go for the third time, and it was the r.h. hub ball joint. A bit more work than the track rod ones but a man has to do something on his day off.
Mesaage to local council - mend those f**king potholes, you useless parasites.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

It does seem to be a weak point on BX's, along with drop links, nice and cheap thankfully to repair and not too difficult.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

Just had the old cow MOTed and I was expecting all the other joints, which are ancient, to have issues, but they were fine....