bit of a fuel leak

BX Tech talk
Nat
Confirmed BX'er

bit of a fuel leak

Post by Nat »

filled the BX up for the first time since doing all the work on the rear subframe. Having moved all the fuel pipes quite a bit I was keeping an eye to make sure nothing was leaking as I filled it up and it all seemed fine.

it was quite a slow pump so I had plenty of time to keep an eye on it but as it filled there wasn't a problem so I felt all was fine and filled it to the brim.

went to pay and as I got back to the car I noticed a small puddle forming. quickly had a look and it was dripping at a slow but steady pace. informed the monkey behind the till but he had little concern for petrol on the forecourt so I drove home (only 5 mins down the road and the leak was only small) to sort it out.

turned out to be the breather pipe, hence no leak until it was full. I must have damaged it when I was working on the subframe. thankfully its at a accessible point so I'll have to cut and rejoin the pipe or something. Taking 5 litres of fuel out stopped the leak so a problem for tomorrow, too cold and dark to do at the moment now its stopped.

bit annoying though.
1991 BX 4X4 GTI back on the road :)
smiffy1071
pies are evil!

Post by smiffy1071 »

I had a similar issue once with my green TZD.
The breather pipe had ruptured, and there was a leak onto the filling station forecourt. I asked for a bucket of sand to put over thye spill of DIESEL fuel...

The woman behiond the counter went into a blind panic, shut the filling station, and called the fire brigade!

This left me thinking "you stupid F**king cow" So, when the fire brigade arrived, they took a look, and err, threw a bucket of sand over it... and told the woman not to waste their time again!

As I left, I told her my job was a fueller at the bus company, where we dispense 25,000 litres of Diesel per night, and if she saw how much was spilled on the floor, she'd shit herself!
skimy

Post by skimy »

Can you post some photos on the breather pipes? Mine BX sometimes also leaks, I intend to check this but appart from that, I don't know what more places/pipes to check...

Tks ;)
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

skimy wrote:Can you post some photos on the breather pipes? Mine BX sometimes also leaks, I intend to check this but appart from that, I don't know what more places/pipes to check...

Tks ;)
Hi 'skimy' , and welcome to the BXC (As I see that the /\ is your first post) are you not going to introduce yourself and your BX to the forum :?:

Thank you.

:D

saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Re: bit of a fuel leak

Post by saintjamesy89 »

I had a similar problem with a Vauxhall Frontera 2.2 16v that I had a few years ago, I had just spent just over £100 filling it up :shock:, and got back in to drive off when the bloke at the next pump stopped me to say I had a leak, it was coming out really fast and I couldn't see where from. Shat meself, and got in a mood.
But it stopped before I got home (tells you something about it's fuel efficiency, or lack of - 24mpg tops), turned out I had overfilled it and it was just the upper part of the filler and combined overflow pipe that had a split.

This is what it looked like. Wish I'd never sold it sometimes.

I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
skimy

Post by skimy »

RxBX wrote:Hi 'skimy' , and welcome to the BXC (As I see that the /\ is your first post) are you not going to introduce yourself and your BX to the forum :?:

Thank you.

:D

Hi there, I thought about doing that but I haven't found a "Presentation" area so I skipped that part (for now) :lol:
Nat
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Nat »

I can post some photos when I get home in a week, can't guarantee it'll be in the same place as normal as it all got a little rearranged when I took the rear subframe off but it'll give you an idea of what to look for
1991 BX 4X4 GTI back on the road :)
skimy

Post by skimy »

tks :P