cannot remove front bumper

BX Tech talk
BX Meteor
BXpert

cannot remove front bumper

Post by BX Meteor »

I've done a search in the forum, not much, other than it's supposed to be easy.

I removed the 3 Torx screws on the top of the bumper. I removed the grill. I removed the 3 Torx screws from under the bumper. It will not budge. I noticed 4 big clips along the lower edge of the front member that is behind the bumper, I've tried to open them up a bit, but it makes no difference.

I've removed the headlights and sidelights and number plate to avoid them getting damaged, and pulled like hell on the bumper at the front, at the sides, it just will not budge. It seems to be held by those 4 big clips, and by the fact that it wraps around the inner wheel arches.

Anyone else tried to remove a front bumper from a late MK2 (my ORGA number is 5412) ??
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

IIRC, After removing all the bolts etc as you have, you then simply pull the bumper forward at both sides about 50/70 mm.

Then pull both the return ends of the bumper away from the car, then forward, (Two persons one each side is ideal), it will then just fall to the ground..

Magic.

Good Luck
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Just be a bit more forceful with it, but DONT pull it by putting your fingers through the grille slats in the bumper as they give way.

Try one corner at a time.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If I remember correctly there are five screws under the front bumper.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Gibbo2286 wrote:If I remember correctly there are five screws under the front bumper.
They are three at the top and three at the bottom mate, its just the clips that are holding it on, quite normal when they havent been off for a while.

Again just use a bit of brute force and it will come pff.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

According to Haynes, there should be five screws. Mine has three plus the metal clips, which are extremely tight (at least in -20 C: http://www.rmattila.com/images/remontit/bx_lisavalot/ )
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

/\ Yeah my Haynes says 3 on the top and 5 underneath, but my Haynes is for the MK1, and it doesn't mention those 4 massive metal clips in the middle (they are just above and behind the lower grill). In the Haynes picture, of the 5 underneath, 3 can be seen in the picture as the Torx, but there are arrows to 2 others that cannot be seen in their picture (and I cannot see them on my car). I suspect that was on very early BX's ??

But I am certain that everyone is right, I'll try again, one side at a time.
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

I normally stand by the front wheel and kick the bumper forward a couple of times from the wheel arch. Never failed, and no damage done yet!
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

I managed to get it off about an hour ago. I took a big block of wood and placed it at the bottom of the bumper in the wheel arch, and belted it with a large hammer. I was surprised how it did then move forward.

Those clips don't appear to do anything, I've taken some pics and might put them here in a bit in case any other person gets worried about their bumper not shifting. It's never been off this car as far as I can see (and I've had the car since 2004). I've had the rear bumper off, but that came off much more easily.