Screenwash Anti-freezing Mod

BX Tech talk
mat_fenwick

Screenwash Anti-freezing Mod

Post by mat_fenwick »

Whilst driving to work this morning (around -3°C) I suffered the common freezing up of the spray bar. I'm not too sure of the concentration but have been topping it up with neat screenwash since I got it in September, so even if it was just water previously it must be around 50% now. As it was fine before I set off, I'm wondering whether the screenwash evaporates in the spray bar first, leaving mainly water behind which freezes (wind chill I believe only applies to heated objects).

I know you can get heater washer jets, but wondered if there was an easy retro fit for the BX. And then it struck me - why not run a very fine resistance wire through the water pipe and earth it via the wiper arm (I would assume there's still a reasonable path to earth). We have a fair bit of thermocouple wire here at work, so with a bit of playing around to get the length & diameter right for the power dissipation needed, it might just work!

Whether I get round to it before summer is another matter..... :oops:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Sounds a good plan..........except it probably would burn through the plastic where it touched. :shock: Getting the current right so it didn't may prove too low to heat the water sufficiently. :?

May be sufficient (& quicker) to attach two wirewound resistors to the wiper arm to impart heating across the air gap to the spray bar if the freezing is occurring locally. Easy enough to run some flex out of the grill and ty-rap to the arm fed from a current limiting circuit of either simple or sophisticated design?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Way2go wrote:probably would burn through the plastic where it touched. :shock: Getting the current right so it didn't may prove too low to heat the water sufficiently. :?
Hopefully not - I've got a similar arrangement at home heating about 2 metres of (larger diameter) wire which dissipates 60w @ 19V and prevents a 15mm pipe from freezing. It's warm to the touch but not uncomfortably so. A shorter and smaller diameter wire would have less resistance, so would need less voltage to dissipate the same power. So long as it needs less then 12V the wiring should be simple, just whether feeding it through the pipe & spindle will restrict the flow too much?

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/530666.pdf

8W per meter, sounds like the system used on Vauxhall Senators to stop the spray freezing.

You will need an inverter, but 16W would probably be plenty and I dont think you would melt the pipe.Just fix it to the pipe with cable ties

You could have it switch on with the rear screen demister.

Only problem is, won't the spray still freeze when it hits the cold windscreen when you get -10 in Snowdonia?

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

We have a fair bit of thermocouple wire here at work
Stainless steel has a resistivity over 50x higher than copper and can be very useful for heating elements where corrosion might be an issue.

http://wires.co.uk/acatalog/ss.html
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

You could easily make it so it only earths towards the end of the wiper spindle travel so it is doesn't need to be a constant feed, just enough to stop the water freezing.

You could also make a replacement wiper bar out of metal (brake pipe or similar) that you could use instead of an element wire inside plastic pipe?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

not one for the "it must be origional "brigade
but as the washer jet spray bar is a bit of an achilles heel anyway on the BX, why not get heated washer jet nozzles mounted in the bonnet , My mk2 golf has then as standard so I guess other cars must have had them too.

had a look on ebay, lots of fords have them or if you want to go a bit upmarket

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-190- ... 56485d0c71

on the golf they are linked in with the heated rear window switch
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I was driving behind some silly sod in a golf tonight who obviously had his nozzles adjusted for when he was travelling at higher speeds 'cos each time he operated his washers it sprayed above his roof so us cars behind got the wash. :)

At least with the Bx Spraybar design, you get your screenwash on your own screen no matter what your roadspeed. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Way2go wrote:I was driving behind some silly sod in a golf tonight who obviously had his nozzles adjusted for when he was travelling at higher speeds 'cos each time he operated his washers it sprayed above his roof so us cars behind got the wash. :)
This tactic does negate the need for a spray bar modification though :?: :lol:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
NeilGP
BXpert

Post by NeilGP »

Thought:
How about getting some stainless steel pipe, using a brake pipe bender to fabricate a spray bar from this pipe. Drill some pin holes for the spray and terminate each end to a power feed via resistor.

This gives two benefits, a spray bar and internal heater to stop freezing.
Neil
A476 RBX
Series 1 BX 16TRS
+ 2015 C4 Flair (boring compared to BX!)
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Its almost always minus temps here in the winter. I never have freezing or screenwashing problems by simply using the correct screenwash for the ambient temperatures.
Dont ask me what it is or the concentration as I buy it from the local supermarket. I use it undiluted and think it is marked as good to -25 on the 5 litre container.
I like the idea of a screenwasher jet that overshoots and hits the car behind. An excellent way to get rid of tailgaters who leave less than a two second gap behind the BX.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've now drained and refilled with undiluted screenwash - can't remember what the minimum temp. was at the moment. This coincided wit the temperature rising by about 10 deg C so I can't comment yet on its effectiveness!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Matt try using cheap vodka from the local offy. Guarantee that won't freeze! :lol:
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mds141 wrote:Matt try using cheap vodka from the local offy. Guarantee that won't freeze! :lol:
Might trigger the "have you been drinking, Sir?" though, if stopped by the traffic plod. :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Good vodka freezes at minus 37c, cheap vodka freezes at just under 0c because it has so much water in! Then its full of sugar and leaves a lot of residue.

Screen wash can be a bit hit and miss too. We had some that was rated to -35c and was freezing up when it was -20c. We swapped to stuff that was only good to -25c and that was fine through to -30c, quality of screen wash is very hit and miss!

Perhaps we should do like the 205 boys and do a group order of heated windscreens? There is a company that will make them up to any spec. And the Ford patent has expired so we should see more and more of them in the UK.