stop light trouble

BX Tech talk
ace_the_bass
Confirmed BX'er

stop light trouble

Post by ace_the_bass »

for the past week or so the stop light ( and the othe lights that come on with it) have been coming on when i go round a corner/have to slam on etc etc. i cheked the LHM level and it really did only need a drop, but after that the bloody thing keeps coming on. in another issue about 2 hours after i bought the car in August the plastic at the top of the dipstick totally disintergrated.......could the oil vaporising coming out of the dipstick tube be whats causing the 'K' light to come by going on the tops of the leads. my car is a 19gti by the way. any ideas about any of the above chaps?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Could it be low brake pads? Just a thought.

No idea about the k light, but I doubt a bit of oil would cause it.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

As far as i'm aware the oil level wouldn't cause the K light to come on. On my old Gti it would occasionally come on, no idea why, just used to switch the car off & it would then go out. Even with the K light on, i didn't notice anything different about the cars behaviour.

Either the ECU is doing a wobbly now & again, it might be crusty terminals? or perhaps there is a sensor somewhere measuring the fuel air flow mix thats up the squiff a bit?

Or, could there just be a slight short somewhere that just causes the k light bulb to come on? This is probably the least likely tbh.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
ace_the_bass
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ace_the_bass »

when the k light comes on the car runs like a bag of shit. i had a focus ( i know i know) awhile back and when the leads were getting knacked the engine light came on and it ran like crap. i was just wondering weather the oil vapour going on the leads where they plug into the coil pack could be causing the trouble
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

This probably isn't it - but worth mentioning just in case. I had the stop light occasionally coming on depending on whether it was a left or right hand corner - turned out to be coolant level :oops:

The coolant level switch is connected to a box which has some fancy and entirely unnecessary electronics in it - could be that playing up.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Not very familiar with the engine management system, but I assume the K light simply is a warning that one or more parameters are outside accepted limits. If there is enough oil around to cover the HT leads and cause a misfire then there will be unburnt fuel (and unburnt oxygen) passing into the exhaust.
If there is a lambda sensor it will see the unburnt oxygen, assume it is running lean and bung in more fuel, possible causing the fuel injector times to reach a limit and putting the light on.

Is there any other light coming on when the stop light comes on? If it's down to oil pressure (what's the oil level like now with your oil loss?) then all the warning lights will come on, like when you turn the ignition on but don't start the engine. All other faults will illuminate the stop light and one other (assuming all bulbs OK).

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
ace_the_bass
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ace_the_bass »

oil level is fine. its not like its loosing lots of oil or anything, will need a new dipstick though. dont know where i'll get one mind! thanks for the advice chaps
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

ace_the_bass wrote: will need a new dipstick though. dont know where i'll get one mind! thanks for the advice chaps
Try GSF, I bought my new one from them (was about £7 IIRC). :D

You'll have to speak to someone there though because their new website is shit as far as the BX is concerned! :(
1991 BX19GTi Auto