Building oil pressure prior to starting the engine

BX Tech talk
rmattila
BXpert

Building oil pressure prior to starting the engine

Post by rmattila »

Has anybody ever thought of fitting a 12 v oil pump at a suitable location so that it could be switched on, allowed to build the sufficient pressure and establish a good circulation, and only then start the engine?

I get this thought every winter, but have so far not gotten any further with it.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

As it would need to be connected to the oil pickup it sounds quite impractical. I'd just go for quality oil instead :wink:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

JayW wrote:As it would need to be connected to the oil pickup it sounds quite impractical. I'd just go for quality oil instead :wink:
At -35 deg C, even quality oils tend to be somewhat suboptimal. And anyway, in an older engine it may take 20 - 30 s even in warm conditions to get the circulation going.

A penetration to the sump as the suction line, then the pump, and the outlet into a suitable place such as the oil pressure sensor hole doesn't sound excessively impractical to me. :roll:
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

I'd have thought the only place you could suitably prime the oilways from would be the pick-up?

Hadn't considered your extreme temperatures as your motive for asking, thought it was just a general suggestion :roll:

How about a heated blanket over the engine? :lol:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I think you'd have to weigh up what the benefits would be, the XUD isn't particularly know for oil pressure related problems and can do massive mileages as standard. I personally think it'd be more of a 'feel good' modification rather than offering a useful improvement.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

mat_fenwick wrote:I think you'd have to weigh up what the benefits would be, the XUD isn't particularly know for oil pressure related problems and can do massive mileages as standard. I personally think it'd be more of a 'feel good' modification rather than offering a useful improvement.
Well, I personally think it's a 'feel good' car so it would fit pretty well then? ;)

The problem is, the block heater does a good job heating the waterways, but as the oil in the sump is cold, it takes quite long for the circulation to start. In a recent test, I think the best 0W oils found their way to the camshaft in 30 s or so. If this 30 s pain per start could be eliminated, there might be some possibilitied to further extend the already remarkable life span of the XUD.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

How about a cheap and cheerful mod then - fit a kettle element in the sump. If you could make the connections waterproof, and fit a detachable connector somewhere accessible then that should heat the oil reasonably quickly. A timer should stop it from overheating.

The only danger is that with no stirring, the oil make get very hot close to the element and break down chemically.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

You can get 12v kettles :wink:
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Why not just fit a kenlow hot start and have the engine up to working temp before starting + you can set it to turn your heater fan on to pre- warm the cabin. I know it doesn't wam the oil but will help reduce cold engine wear considerably.
I have one in my garage that I used to have on my Land Rover 90, fantastic bit of kit for winter.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I think trying to fix a problem that isn't there is a bit of a waste of time. Even high performance engines don't have anything like that, and the XUD is about as far removed from a high performance engine as is possible without getting into plants buildings.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

jay wrote:You can get 12v kettles
Have you ever used one? 150-200w, you might as well hold a match under the sump.

EDIT - You wouldn't want to sell the Hotstart would you Kevan? Would be ideal for an LPG vehicle as then you would barely have to run on petrol at all!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

They used to sell pressure accumulators to the oil pressure switch union, with a solenoid valve to store the 0,5 l or so of oil in correct pressure for the next start, but I have not seem them for a while. Even though running 30 s without oil won`t do much damage to the engine in the short run, I would still like the idea of first building the pressure and only then putting the steel to move..
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Kitch wrote:I think trying to fix a problem that isn't there is a bit of a waste of time. Even high performance engines don't have anything like that, and the XUD is about as far removed from a high performance engine as is possible without getting into plants buildings.
..but on the other hand, low-performance naval diesels that are designed for long-lasting service, do.. :wink:
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

The easiest way to get a little oil pressure before the engine starts is to crank it for a few seconds without waiting for the heater plugs, I had a Diesel fitter mate who did not like the way my BX used to start straight off, he liked the idea of pumping a little oil around before it fired.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Interesting topic.

I always check the one way valve in the oil filter before fitting.

I blow and suck gently into the centre threaded hole to test.
"No comments"

I have known filters to fail this test on occasions.

If the valve is slightly leaky, then the oil will run back into the sump overnight.

Try the test again with a new filter after testing the valve.