Building oil pressure prior to starting the engine

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

rmattila wrote:
Kitch wrote:I think trying to fix a problem that isn't there is a bit of a waste of time. Even high performance engines don't have anything like that, and the XUD is about as far removed from a high performance engine as is possible without getting into plants buildings.
..but on the other hand, low-performance naval diesels that are designed for long-lasting service, do.. :wink:
I think the line between submarines and a mass-produced Frencgh diesel hatchback is quite a large one.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Kitch wrote:
rmattila wrote:
Kitch wrote:I think trying to fix a problem that isn't there is a bit of a waste of time. Even high performance engines don't have anything like that, and the XUD is about as far removed from a high performance engine as is possible without getting into plants buildings.
..but on the other hand, low-performance naval diesels that are designed for long-lasting service, do.. :wink:
I think the line between submarines and a mass-produced Frencgh diesel hatchback is quite a large one.
I don't care for hatchbacks either. 8)

But in the few-hundred-kilowatt class, it is quite usual for a diesel engine to have an interlock preventing start-up if there's no oil pressure. I don't see any principal difference, why it would not be benefitial for the smaller engines as well to have a good lubrication all the way from the start-up.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

rmattila wrote:
Kitch wrote:
rmattila wrote:
I don't care for hatchbacks either. 8)

But in the few-hundred-kilowatt class, it is quite usual for a diesel engine to have an interlock preventing start-up if there's no oil pressure. I don't see any principal difference, why it would not be benefitial for the smaller engines as well to have a good lubrication all the way from the start-up.
It'd be beneficial yes. But it'd also be beneficial to remove the camshaft before each start to manually oil all the lobes, and to remove the pistons and de-glaze the bores after each long journey. Doesn't mean you need to do it! :wink:

A mass-produced car like this is engineered with a certain amount of neglect in mind. The tolerances aren't strict enough to require any special treatment. A mass-produced automotive diesel engine isn't in the same catagory as the diesel engine in an old sub - period.

That's not to say you shouldn't do it. Who's to tell you what you can and can't do? But if it were me, I'd concentrate on doing something you'll actually benefit from! You'll never notice the difference with it.

rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

The original design was not meant to run for over a million km, which is what I'm aiming at, and therefore the original design justifications are not necessarily directly applicable. If you look at the things causing excessive wear, the top three I've come up with are:
  • suboptimal oils (already taken care of by changing to good one every 7500 km)
  • running a cold engine (already taken care of by the electric block heater whenever it falls below +5)
  • running dry until the circulation starts (currently not taken are of)
I'm not aiming to stay within what the engine was expected to normally endure, but really running it as long as possible, and therefore looking for things to do to make sure the wear keeps as low as practically attainable.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

What mileage are you at now? I would have thought it would be more interesting to see how long an unmodified, straight out of the box engine will last. Looked after, of course!

rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Kitch wrote:What mileage are you at now? I would have thought it would be more interesting to see how long an unmodified, straight out of the box engine will last. Looked after, of course!
Just had an engine failure at 730 000, but that was not the engine's fault: http://www.rmattila.com/images/remontit ... ne_change/

I'm rotating engines so that I do the timing belt change in the shop, so the engines move from car to car. The one with the largest mileage is currently at 620 000 km, the other 3 are quite fresh.
Last edited by rmattila on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

See at that mileage I wouldn't begrudge them going bang :lol:

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

rmattila wrote:.
Just had an engine failure at 730 000, but that was not the engine's fault:
exactly, 'not the engines fault' so although I admire your attempt to increae engine life how would having a pr-oiled engine of prevented this and increased the mileage of the engine? It won't increase combustion damage to pistons etc. neither will it? I'm sure there are all sorts of other engine components that would eventually give up out of pure fatique even if perfectly lubricated do you not think?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I've wondered about fitting an extra oil filter - one that draws oil from the sump and passes it through a very fine filter then back to the sump or to above the camshaft. Since the filter doesn't have to operate a full flow it can be as fine as you like - experiments with this type of system have used filters something like a toilet roll where the oil flowed 'across' the roll - aparently this provided the best filtration.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

electrokid wrote:I've wondered about fitting an extra oil filter - one that draws oil from the sump and passes it through a very fine filter then back to the sump or to above the camshaft. Since the filter doesn't have to operate a full flow it can be as fine as you like - experiments with this type of system have used filters something like a toilet roll where the oil flowed 'across' the roll - aparently this provided the best filtration.
A company called Cresco used to sell a by-pass oil filter, basically a bog roll in a casing, plumbed into a T piece screwed into the oil pressure switch hole, it returned the filtered oil via a fitting drilled into the rocker cover, they reckoned a 60,000 mile oil change interval, a colleague fitted one and his oil always looked new, I dont know why they never took off but I believe they were too good at filtering and were removing the additive pack from the oil.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I guess if the oil stays clean for that length of time one would need another way of judging whether it was still fit for use - good point.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Wouldn't adding another oil filter possibly cause oil starvation as the flow of oil could be less due to the extra resistance of having more than one filter in the system?

I must admit, everytime i've done the oil change on my txd, which i do every 6k, the oil is black, even after an oil change & only a few day's driving its black? Why does this happen?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

The Cresco system was fed from the oil pressure switch hole, only a small bore pipe and not affecting flow through the standard filter, which did not need changing again, it probably took a good while for the entire contents of the engine to go through, but it would, I think the additives have become more important, it looked very good at the time (late 70s).
The beatings will continue until morale improves