ahh, hoses they're all starting to split!

BX Tech talk
themildbunch
BXpert

ahh, hoses they're all starting to split!

Post by themildbunch »

Just been investigating a new LHM leak, hoping it was a simple height corrector pipe or something... looks like the octopus :( I've got a spare but no time to fix it now, still they all go at some point..

As I was checking this out, I noticed the long braided heater hose around the back of the engine has started to weep on the rubber section where it connects to the head, AND the bottom hose has splits all over it but no leaks yet...

Both these hoses, 96 017 618 and 95 638 588 are still available but from France only....

I'd check yours out as the unusually friendly main stealer said they were showing 5 left in France!
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've just bought one from AEP; at the time they were showing another in stock in their eBay shop but don't appear to be any more. Might be worth a try though if anyone is stuck.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

I will have a look in my bag of hoses in the garage, ISTR a couple of the braided jobs in there somewhere.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

That would be great! - I have some almost new braided ones but not the long bendy one that is itching to blow it's beans...

Changed the bottom hose for an almost new but with a small 'scissor slit' I managed to make when unwrapping it with the excitement of finding an old hose a few months back :oops:

I've wrapped the rear hose with some self amalgamating bodgers tape for now that seems to hold the weep...

What with a water pump, loads of other hoses, radiator removed for access numerous times I must have drained and refilled this BX about 6 times in the last year!
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

So you need the longer of the two braided heater hoses ?
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Without wanting to crash your thread... I'm also suffering from a leaky radiator bottom hose, if you have more than one spare floating around.
ImageImageImageImageImage
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Hi - Yes, it's the longer of the braided heater hoses - starts from the back of the head / block behind the HP pump to the heater valve....
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Willy wrote:Without wanting to crash your thread... I'm also suffering from a leaky radiator bottom hose, if you have more than one spare floating around.
do you have a NA, TD or something else?

There's been a NA bottom hose on eBay for a while around £30.. the TD ones seem to be rarer. If you can't get one from the main dealer there's always custom silicone at a price or making one up from smaller sections with metal joiners. The problem being as in many BX hoses is that the ends are different diameters...
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

1.6 carb, I ask just on the off chance - it has a T-junction point so can't just plop anything on it without resorting to plumbing (or Holts Radweld as a friend suggested to me on the phone earlier :? ). The RAC man told me that many of the hoses are graduated when a smaller one blew off before, and I was lucky that he had one just about the correct size.
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

I may have an ordinary bottom hose but I dont think I have one of the T piece ones, I will make a list of what I have tomorrow.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've successfully used copper solder ring plumbing fittings as T pieces before - the (less common) 35mm size might do you although you may need to get a 35/22/35mm T, and then reduce the 22mm down to 15mm depending on what you're connecting.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickster665 »

You may also want to try this type of Tee. http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/category/Hos ... ors,b.html I am in a similar predicament and have bought one of these to get over the problem. The replacement is still in the planning stage though.

Cheers
Dicky
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

I have a serviceable bottom hose (TZD) but not the Tee piece type, also a couple of top hoses.
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Thanks Dicky, that's pretty much what I was looking for.