Outer CV joints

BX Tech talk
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

I suppose the ball size is not standardized, and different manufacturers are free to choose that dimension freely. So I guess the only way to go is to take a ball from the joint you're about to overhaul and measure it. I was a bit surprised to find that it was 5/8 " in those joints I've revitalised.

As to the units: http://www.rmattila.com/images/reissut/ ... 7.JPG.html

The caption says: "A large portion of the display space was given to a local eccentric mr Whitworth, whose principal innovation was that you can dimension engine parts using rational fractions of Charlemagne's body part measurements."
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

I checked the balls off the White One's old shaft. This is a '92 TXD; they were .710" in English (which ain't anywhere near 5/8") or a millitad under 18mm. So things are now perfectly obscure. Also, the six balls were seemingly hard chromed and showed no signs of any wear or damage so it looks more like the internal race has acquired indentations from long use rather than the balls themselves being at fault. Shame. I assume that this is fairly normal - at least, a pro mechanic told me that recently. Hopefully the next shaft might lend itself to new balls......
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Could you get pics of the parts? Would be very interesting to see the failure mode.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

I would have to clean the joint first, it's covered in thick black grease. Also, I don't know how well you'd be able to see inside the cup if there are any indents. I'll try to do it this weekend.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

If you need pics Tim, let me know.

Andy