rainwater leak

BX Tech talk
barry badger
BXpert

rainwater leak

Post by barry badger »

I have a tzd estate that is leaking when it rains.
I have stripped out the roof lining and the A B and C pillar trims. When the car is hosed the water emerges from in between the spot welded edges of the A pillar about 6 inches above the dash both sides. When the car is driven it can cascade down off the drivers sun visor as though it is collecting in the roof. I think the leak is in the roof underneath the full length plastic panels. Has anyone come across this? Can these panels be removed without destroying them? Can they be sealed with no ill effects? I bought this car as a wreck and have spent much time and money on it. It has four significant problems remaining, this being the one that will force me to break it.

The car has also had a new windscreen fitted because this was also leaking, the windscreen aperture is rust free.
Last edited by barry badger on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

usually its the sunroof that leaks but it might be getting in under the black trims that run along the roof
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Mat did some windscreen work here... recently... Doesn't look like he removed the plastic roof trims though. I think he had a similar leak problem though at some point...

Good to hear you're reviving a wreck - My TZD estate is starting to feel like one at the moment - I've done a load of jobs but there's always something else that pops up this time of year!
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Mickey taker wrote:usually its the sunroof that leaks but it might be getting in under the black trims that run along the roof
Wont have a Sunroof! tis an Estate :wink:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Roverman wrote: Wont have a Sunroof! tis an Estate :wink:
One of my estates has a sunroof... :wink:

Not the factory fitted kind though, admittedly.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

KevR wrote:

Yeah see Tim, what he said :lol:
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Mickey taker wrote:
KevR wrote:

Yeah see Tim, what he said :lol:
Mines got one too and it dont leak.

Andy
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

This car has thrown up problem after problem, I've had and got many bxs but never one like this. It's been taxed and sorned so many times, I fix it tax it and then sorn it after a couple of months because i just don't enjoy driving it with its problems. The last time I took the wings and front doors off and the windscreen out. Repaired and painted the inner wings and door apertures, put it all back together with a new windscreen and door seals quietly confident the leak was fixed. I put it back on the road and the water flooded in. It's currently sorned whilst I ponder my next move with it. I'm sorry i ever bought it but I've come too far. I'm determined to see it through to the bitter end..... its or mine!
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Have you checked the roof mounted aerial?
They think it's all over, it is now!
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

My aerial was letting in quite a trickle of water, but not loads I don't think.

The seal was totally shot, so I made a new one out of a section of bike inner tube. Seems ok now. :D

Occasionally if there has been very heavy rain the offside rear footwell gets damp, and the boot floor under the carpet too. Not tracked that down yet as it hardly ever rains here...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Keep the faith Barry, I dont know of any other 4x4 estates still road legal.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

This car has no sunroof and the roof aerial is definitely not leaking. I,m 99.9% certain it's coming in under the roof panels. So if I can't remove them I will have to seal them. Can anyone recommend a good sealer to use?
This is one of the tzds, i've put the 4x4 away for the winter, although I used it up until january
Last edited by barry badger on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Are you sure about the integrity of the seals on the new windscreen? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

That's a good point I have wondered about it. I have pulled the rubber trim off the windscreen and scrutinized the bonding, it looks ok but you never know. I think I'll tape around the screen and hose the car and see what happens.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

I have the same problem on the van and TZi estate. It will literally pour in on the van sometimes. Headlining has been out of that for ages and no luck finding the leak. I too suspect it will be the cappings either side of the roof and hazard a guess they will be completely destroyed if you try to remove them. I tried it on a saloon once, it didn't go well!!

I've also considered that it may be the roof rail mountings but not investigated that avenue. I also need a new windscreen on the van but don't know whether I should get that done before further investigation...

If it was the screen leaking I don't understand how it the water would drip down from the headlining so suspect it's a different problem.

Let me know if you get anywhere....
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari