Washer jets

BX Tech talk
Willy
BXpert

Washer jets

Post by Willy »

...aren't working.

Both tanks are full, it hasn't been freezing here for a month, and you can hear the pump whirring away when you pull on the stalk. However, nothing comes out. This has been a gradual decline over the last few weeks of less and less coming out, to ultimately none coming out now.

Anybody experienced this? Guesses are ineffective pump or a blockage in the lines. The back has exhibited this since I bought the car but the front has only started recently as aforementioned.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Blocked jets, a kink in the pipes, had one where the battery had been out and put back on trapping the pipe, if all ese fails check the pump to see if it's impeller is clogged, they sometimes get stuck and the spindle spins without moving the impeller.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Pretty easy, especially at the front, to disconnect various sections and see if any water comes out.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

It's probably the wiper drive pipe that has internally rusted up with debris.

Disconnect the washer bar from the top of the wiper drive and see if it sprays out from this feed.If it does you need to clean the spray bar. If it doesn't disconnect the feed pipe from below the drive and see if it works then. If it does, you will need to carefully drill through the wiper boss to clear the crud.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

/\

As that, the boss on the wiper drive often rusts up. when you take it off the wiper spindle the pipe will probably be full of rust then when you have cleaned it out the pipe may then be sloppy on what is left of the boss. If this is the case you can put some sealant on the outside of the remaining boss and fit the pipe over this. (don't use too much sealant as you don't want it to go up the pipe and block it.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Have taken things apart and it seems that the front is working fine, just the arm is gunked up and not letting anything through. Can I get a new one from anywhere? Trying to drill news holes in it hasn't worked, oh well.

Re the back... Well now the motor's stopped working (it was fine before) so I don't know what the problem is there still. Now I've taken all the back system out, is that an Mot fail or do I need both washer systems working?

Sent tediously from an iPad, which I can assure you is most definitely not the best way to "browse the web" or whatever they claim on the adverts!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

I just by-passed the spindle part of the fronts and directly connected the pipe, pug 405 washers have a nice spray jet that is better than the BX perforated pipe too.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Had a problem with mine and just used a needle to clear all the holes in the rubber/plastic pipe and all worked well for the MOT.
Suspect the system is clogged with crap.

Andy
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I've not had a problem with 2 MOTs without a rear washer.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Rear washer I think isnt an MOT fail as not all cars have it, last time I checked you could buy spray bars from Citroen.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i keep a length of stiff wire with serations on which works to clean the rust build up in the metal tube that runs throught the wiper spindle,
works every time,

and the rears are not MOTable,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....