coil wiring

BX Tech talk
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Like I said, i'm pretty sure your referring to the wrong wiring diagram for your car. This is the last carb engine wiring diagram released 19th July 1991

http://bxproject.co.uk/e_files/downloads/elec16M.jpg

If you read it the way i have, then it seems to be a perfect match to your wiring (from what i can tell of the main colours and connectors).

Item No 270 is described as 'IGNITION COIL CAPACITOR' and connects through a black female connector with is supplied with a green wire with a black trace.

It is internally connected to pin 3 which is switched supply. I guess it will ultimately reduce flicker in the power system.

Mickey, print out the large version of the wiring diagram and check that you have ignition and switched lives in the right places. My bet would be dirty connections, probably at the bulkhead end of the ignition loom.

PS have you tried connector to an old plug resting on the block to make sure your getting any spark at all.

PPS thinking about how the engine has been treated during its life, have you checked the plugs aren't completely eroded away?
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

Yeah that's the right diagram alright, though we knew my diagrams were different :)
On Sun Mar 18 5:08 pm, BX Meteor wrote:These circuit diagram are for the Mk1, but the way the system works is the same.

On our cars (both mk2) ....
Mick also says "got new dizzy cap and rotor +plugs ...... even tried a spark plug in the HT lead from the coil but nothing"

A friend of his, has also checked the wiring.

So it's either the coil, or the ign module, or the internals of the dizzy, or the wire to the rev counter.
I've been to Ladbrokes and they gave me the following odds:
1/2 ign module
4/1 coil
30/1 dizzy internals
100/1 rev counter wire

They race at Towcester tomorrow morning :wink:
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

yesterday morning we pulled apart and cleaned all the connectors from the coil, ignition module and bulkhead connector with white spirit, tried a plug against the engine in a plug lead, no spark, tried a plug in the king lead from the coil still no spark so have ordered a replacement ignition module and coil . They were meant to be here by 3.30 this afternoon but the delivery was delayed so will pick them up tomorrow a.m. The plugs were quite sooty but were supposedly new just before I collected the car in January, I have a new set of plugs to fit anyway
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

Go on then ....how much for the coil and how much for the ign module ?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Sweepstake?

I'm betting the coil cost between £20 and £25!
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

I'll go £18.69... :lol:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

I'll raise Vanny's bet :lol:

£35 + VAT
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

lets just say its a bloody good job the car only cost £250 in the first place, the dizzy cap rotor arm and plugs came to £50, should have bought an astra lol
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

20 year old Astra's have all washed away by now, so fat chance of getting a cheap one!

You might have found a Focus for £1000 though.
saintjamesy89
Over 2k
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Mickey taker wrote:lets just say its a bloody good job the car only cost £250 in the first place, the dizzy cap rotor arm and plugs came to £50, should have bought an astra lol
You all know what's coming now... A mk2 Astra rant, oh yeah.

Yep, Astra's are awesome. when I bought mine 3 years ago, a complete ignition renewal cost £80 (coil, HT leads, plugs, rotor arm, dizzy cap and got wiper blades in that purchase too).

My astra has no rust, either. And I bought it for £120 from ebay, and the seller gave me £20 back for petrol, lovely lady. And it'll do 53 mpg - maybe more now as tracking and wheel balancing all done! But the suspension is horrible (awaiting bilstein replacement shocks).

Rant over.
Vanny wrote:20 year old Astra's have all washed away by now, so fat chance of getting a cheap one!

You might have found Focus for £1000 though.
Vanny, good base models pop up every now and then, GTE's and the higher end models more often, but more expensive.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

It would have to be the GTE or nothing for me to be tempted, and given that they where all rotten ten years ago, i can't help think that the few that remain will be astronomically pricey.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Mickey taker wrote:lets just say its a bloody good job the car only cost £250 in the first place, the dizzy cap rotor arm and plugs came to £50, should have bought an astra lol
Searching feebay as you do, i got a distributor cap and a rotor arm, all OE stuff for 20 quid. Plugs cost me a tenner.
Took a while though.

Andy
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I know I could get the parts cheaper if I could wait but I need the car by wednesday morning and using the trajet for school runs is costing a fortune coil was £29.65 +vat from euros
Found a astra bemont 1.4 for £395 with a years ticket up the road
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

saintjamesy89
Over 2k
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Vanny wrote:It would have to be the GTE or nothing for me to be tempted, and given that they where all rotten ten years ago, i can't help think that the few that remain will be astronomically pricey.
A good GTE will go for anything over 2k these days, a 16v more (redtop=fantastic engine, loadsa torque, 156bhp and will do over 40mpg).

They are very easy cars to work on too, and the engines are almost indestructible, each engine (apart from the 1.4) will survive the cambelt snapping with little/no damage.

Mick, good base models can be got for £500 or less, there is much less demand for them , but I prefer them tbh. They aren't as common as GTE's either.

Hope you get your meteor sorted Mick! Then you can post us some pretty piccies showing all your hard work.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

HOUSTON WE HAVE IGNITION

well as some pedantic old bugger on here insisted :lol:

it was the ignition module all along,

rotor arm and dizzy cap were past there best and plugs have now been replaced so no money wasted.

a quick drive around the block pushed all thought of astras out of my head ( sorry Tom )

pictures wont really show much but may take a couple later

NOW

has anyone got a round thingy #-o
1991 BX Meteor 1.6