Belt keeps breaking. HELP!!

BX Tech talk
Chris Abbott
BXpert

Belt keeps breaking. HELP!!

Post by Chris Abbott »

The belt from the HP Pump to the cam shaft pulley has broken 3 times in a hundred or so miles! What do i look for? Im not overtightening it, it doesnt slip, it just keeps fooking well breaking!!
Advice please
Chris
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

That IS very odd! Only 3 real possibilities:

Drag on the pump (pump knackered)

Overtightening (are you sure?)

Poor alignment (are the pump and pulley correctly aligned?)

It's also worth inspecting the broken belts to identify HOW they're breaking. Are they chaffing or being over-stressed?
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Although what Jay posts are possibles, I would be surprised if that could cause breakage within such a short distance. Are these belts of the correct quality and have they been properly stored?

For example if they have been badly stored or are flood-damaged stock, then the reinforcing cords could be rotten?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Check the edges of the pulleys for signs of damage, as a belt pinched that way can go in a few hundred miles. Also check the pulleys are straight on the shafts - if one's out of true you may be lucky and it's the pulley not the shaft that's bent. I had a Lomax that shredded alternator belts in a few hundred miles which turned out to have a bent crank
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Chris Abbott
BXpert

Post by Chris Abbott »

Right........ The pulleys are in fine condition and line up. I,ve changed the pump with another one i have knocking about still the same, my mechanic pal reckons it could be the Flow diversion valve causing the problem? Any thoughts on that one? What i did forget to say in the 1st posting, the steering is a bit stiff at times, worse when turning right hand down.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

It's possible the filter in the FDV has become blocked and therefor not letting the LHM from the pump in. This would cause drag on the pump essentially making it go stiff (as i don't believe the pump itself has a PRV).

Cleaning out the FDV is relatively easy but it'll need to be off ther car.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
thorter

Post by thorter »

Is accumulator sphere OK?

Fred
Chris Abbott
BXpert

Post by Chris Abbott »

Fred,
Put a new accumulator sphere on this afternoon, still the same result im afraid.
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

How is the car behaving otherwise ? does everything hydraulic work as it should ? Is the pressure regulator ticking occasionally ? citaerobics work okay? power steering ?
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Chris Abbott
BXpert

Post by Chris Abbott »

Oilyspanner. PM sent
Cheers
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

have you studied the brocken belts if so did they snap, chaff through inside or on there outter surface,

maybe if the later there is something touching the belt,

or are you pinching the belt on fitting were it goes over the bottom of the pump pulley,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Chris Abbott
BXpert

Post by Chris Abbott »

Accumulator is fine. The pumps fine, the belts were all fine. So its got to be the FWD or the pressure regulator? Surely cant be anything else?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

This sounds very strange indeed. I'm baffled as to how it could be related to a fault somewhere on the hydraulic system. My BX has several faults on the hydraulic system (including an accumulator/regulator issue that makes the pump run more often than it should) but nothing has made it snap belts.
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

JayW wrote:It's possible the filter in the FDV has become blocked and therefor not letting the LHM from the pump in. This would cause drag on the pump essentially making it go stiff (as i don't believe the pump itself has a PRV).

Cleaning out the FDV is relatively easy but it'll need to be off ther car.
as jay says this happenened to me on my estate that had been laid up prior to my purchase i got a spare fdv from the scrapyard (that shows how long ago that was!) and then bought a refurb kit fot the original unit ,it was full of black gunk and bits of rubber in the filters
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

abbott wrote:Oilyspanner. PM sent
Cheers
Nothing received ?
I have a few FDVs in the pile if needed
The beatings will continue until morale improves