Belt keeps breaking. HELP!!

BX Tech talk
Chris Abbott
BXpert

Post by Chris Abbott »

Really doing my head in now!
FDV overhauled, Regulator bench tested and ok (both done at Pleides) fitted them today, little or no change to the performance.
Slightly stiff steering, car rises very slowly from the low position to driving position, but rises alot quicker from low to highest position, when the regulator ticks, the HP Pump then squeals at the same time, Ive tried 2 pumps with the same result, im assured both pumps are ok,,(i wonder if they may be dodgy) but at the moment i seem to be blaming everything, and cant trust anypart!!!
Ive spoken to several intelligent and knowledgable citroen people, including Pleides, theyre scratching there heads a bit too.
Another belt broke last week (4th) and i can tell (with a couple of short test drives today) that judging by the squealing noises, its only going to be a matter of time before the next one brakes. GSF Stoke have run out of belts and have more on order, ive used enough flush/lhm to get pissed on. Im fucking fed up. Any more ideas??
Cheers Chris
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

maybe you are not tightening the belt enough as these need to be FT tight, as there is a lot of torque required to turn a hydraulic pump when the system is up to pressure,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Abbott,

I have mentioned this before, may be your problem:

Check when the belt is ULTRA TIGHT, the bolt that goes trough the slotted hole in the curved bar still has a gap to allow for further tightening.

I have known that some belts are longer than others, and the bolt will bind on the end on the slotted hole.

Remedy: Remove the bar and elongate the slot.

Good Luck.
Chris Abbott
BXpert

Post by Chris Abbott »

Thanks Brian,
Ive now tightened it ULTRA TIGHT!! A 3/4 inch bar with 4 foot peice of scaffold for extra leverage!!, Theres still about 1/4 inch of travel for the bolt to go, so this particular belt must be within tolerance. I must admit that the squealing has now dissapeared under pressure whilst doing citroairobics. Steering still stiff though. My God that belt is sure tight!!![/img]
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

abbott wrote:Thanks Brian,
Ive now tightened it ULTRA TIGHT!! A 3/4 inch bar with 4 foot peice of scaffold for extra leverage!!, Theres still about 1/4 inch of travel for the bolt to go, so this particular belt must be within tolerance. I must admit that the squealing has now dissapeared under pressure whilst doing citroairobics. Steering still stiff though. My God that belt is sure tight!!![/img]
i know we said tight but thats tighter than my wallet, and yes i do have a Jewish surname :shock: :lol: :wink: ,

i think a 3/4 bar with a 4 foot scaffold tube is a bit tooooooo tight,

just a short lever under the pump body leverd till there is no give in the belt what so ever should be fine

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)