Speedo broken

BX Tech talk
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Speedo broken

Post by maxgreenwood »

Last night my speedo broke. It started moving about erratically then died and I now have a clicking from behind the dash which increases with speed. Could I be lucky and something has just become disconnected? What's the procedure? Dash out and investigate? Is it hard?
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Centre upper tray out, mirror switch housing out - reach around the back of the dial pod from each side and if you're lucky it'll be held on with two plastic wingnuts (you need small hands for this). If you're unlucky, it'll be held on with two M6 nuts (you'll need small hands and an equally small spanner). Undo these and the two torx/posi drive screws at the bottom of the pod above the steering cowling. It will make things easier if you remove the steering wheel too. The pod should come away, though only so far as the cable is what holds it back before the wiring takes tension - if it comes away easily and almost in your lap the cable's broken! If the cable is still connected and engaged, it sounds like the speedo unit itself as you say there is an audible clicking, unless of course the square cable head has broken from the main cable.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Thanks for that Kitch that should make progress a bit swifter. I need to take the steering wheel off anyway to realign.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon