Tips on replacing a sunroof

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

Tips on replacing a sunroof

Post by B-Hive »

Hi ..before collecting my "new" TRS (boast boast), I am going to use the time to install a replacement sunroof in the TRi ..I know its not a picnic of a job, but can anyone who has done it before please give me some tips and "watch out fors" with the job..

Fanks
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

I think it would probably be easiest to take the whole roof lining out - undo all the screws, drop it onto the seats and pull it out through the boot.

That way you have more room, can give the roof lining a good clean, make sure all the sunroof drains are patent and give everything a good clean and lube up etc..

Best of luck!
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

thanks ..i was bargaining on having to remove the whole head lining..do i need to remove the A, B, and C pillar trims to get the roof lining/sunroof free?
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Also ..as a besides since you are "local" can you tell me the difference between the TRi and the TRi 122 ..does it use the same basis/head as the GT/GTi ..why i ask is that my Tri is remarkably quick..doesnt seem to have the same torque as the GT but sooooo lively.. I'm thinking it may well have a 122 head on it...any way just rambling and thought I'd ask you whilst I have your attention..if it a standard Tri very impressed...
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

Hey,

Yes actually I think the pillars do need to come out, if you cannot get these off do not force them, especially the C-pillar, they are VERY easy to break.
If that's the case have a look in the haynes, I know the blue haynes explains how to get the glass out, i'm not sure if you can get the whole mechanism out after that.

You can get the A,B,C pillars out if you're careful, I have broken a few though.

All I can tell you about the TRi and TRi122's is what I've said on Aussiefrogs, but I'll quote it over here to share the knowledge:
The TRi has the 105hp DFZ or XU9J1 engine (8.4:1 CR)
and the TZi and TRi 122 have the later 122hp DKZ or XU9JAZ engine (9.2:1 CR)

The blocks are the same, but the engines have different pistons, heads and sumps.

It will be stamped on the engine some where whether or not it is a DFZ or DKZ. I don't think you can tell the heads apart without taking them off. If you have a look at the sump and can see that it has a sump spacer plate sandwiched between the sump and the block (Only the DKZ has this) then it is likely to be the TRi122 engine. Our TRi 122 had a BE1 gearbox, as do TRi's. TZi's have BE3's.

Quoting PeterT again:
The DKZ head on a DFZ block is actually the best combination if you're chasing compression. You end up with approx. 10.5:1 as the DKZ chamber is smaller then the DFZ, and the DFZ dish in the piston is smaller than the DKZ. The actual blocks are identical, just the pistons and sumps differ.

Valve sizes are an easy indentification, otherwise chamber shape and volume. There are no markings. DFZ head has EGR ports in the exhaust, DKZ has regular exhaust ports.

DFZ - 39mm inlet, 33mm exhaust
DKZ - 41.6mm, 34.5mm

DFZ chamber - 49cc
DKZ chamber - 34cc

The DKZ camshaft has more lift and duration than the DFZ. That's what's fitted to 90kW and 130hp versions.

Porting and polishing is mostly a waste of time. Just get a 3 angle valve grind and blend the bottom angle into the port.
The GT and GTi will have different engines again. The GTi will have a D6A or a D6D according to the blue haynes--Grey haynes is in the garage. No idea what the GT had.

Our GT came with a DFZ block and head, with the associated GT manifold/carby etc bolted on. So, I can't really comment on the GT engine.

All the 8valves I drive feel so torquey down low compared to my 16 Valve!

Also, our GT is free to a good home if you want it. DFZ/DKZ combination engine included. The body and suspension are a bit far gone, it would need new front and rear subframes, and all the associated bits to be a driver again. They're all too bent up from the crashes it's been through.

Swap you for the spoiler :P ?
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

thanks for all the info..

I would love to visit you some time and chat etc....(look at your GT)

PM me with you details so we can tee something up.

Aah
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

This link may be useful.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate