Play in tie rod assembly

BX Tech talk
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Play in tie rod assembly

Post by axbx »

Hey guys

I was just wondering, is the tie rod (?)
adjustable on my bx trd?

When the wheel is jacked up in the free air, and I try to jolt the wheel vertical-wise there is no play(like it would have been if the lower ball joint was worn out?), but when I try to jolt it side/side ways it is definately play, I dont know for sure if its this rod in the picture, but when I try to jiggle I think there is some movement

never changed one before but i guess its safe to assume this has to be renewed, and if so is it a lot of cock to change it? will i need to allign the wheels etc?

also, when steering, especially when reversing there is noises from the same wheel, any ideas if these has something to do with a worn tie rod?
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Post by axbx »

so I just found out I will have to have a wheel allignement in case of changing this "tie rod" (correct me if im wrong), is this costly in a shop? or is it easy to do your self?

Happy for any tips!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Wheel alignment is around £25 here. You can do it yourself by making up a couple of frames to locate on the wheels and measuring the distance between them in front and behind the wheels, but I've always used my local (trusted) independant tyre fitter
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

depending on were if the play is in the joint at the top of your photo or the lower item,
the tracking is adjusted by winding the outer part (top item in photo ) on the thread of the inner part (lower item in photo,

and yes it is best to have the traking checked after replacing the track rod end ( top item in photo )

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Post by axbx »

Thank you guys
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Hi

any lateral (left/right) play will be down to the axial joints..(the lower component on your image).. these wear and will give play similar to steering rack wear ...my TRS had quite pronounced wear on these components.. IMO they can be a bit of a trial to replace withput removing the rack assembly..
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed