roof rail attachment on estate

BX Tech talk
sdelasal
BXpert

roof rail attachment on estate

Post by sdelasal »

I suspect some dampness getting into the roof lining of the estate & I just noticed that one of the rear roof rail 'feet', next to the tailgate, looks somewhat lifted compared to the one the other side. Before I start dismantling & perhaps damaging things, has anyone any idea how these are attached? On the top surface there is a rubber/plastic square shape affair - do I dig that out and find a nut underneath ? Or do I need to remove headlining for access?
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

Remove the square plastic plug and there is a 6mm cap head bolt underneath, it takes a 5mm allen key. These bolts will not be the source of your leak as they do not go through to the inside. Where abouts is the roof lining damp?
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

Thanks Barry - In some places, there looks to be evidence of mould on the roof lining - it's not damp to touch though. How do the 6mm bolts attach to the roof then?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

That mould staining came from a time when there was a leak, but the previous owner to me fixed the leak (it was roof rail related I think). Both he and I tried to remove the marks left by the mould but it wouldn't shift. Is this a new leak?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

The bolts screw into rectangular bosses welded to the roof. Hopefully as philip says the marks are from an old leak. I would pull the front carpets up to check the underlay is dry just to be sure.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

Been brought up recently elsewhere:

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

Could well be that the water is penetrating the side cappings at the edge of the roof. There is no way for water to gain access to the interior from the roof rail mountings. I haven't yet tried the sealant method on my two that have the problem but sounds promising from the post...
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

The leak on my tzd is now definitely fixed we've had some torrential downpours up here in the north and the car has remained dry. However there are no celebrations from me, I have mentioned on previous posts that the water leak was only one of four significant problems. One of those is poor starting hot and cold. I have had a few halfhearted attempts at this problem but have just come in from the garage now after looking into this problem in depth.....I have checked:- pump timing,cam timing,glow plugs and operation, pump fueling,and valve clearances. As far as I can see now there are only two possibilities remaining, Injectors (but there is no excessive smoke and power is good) or pistons/bores. The car has only done 93,000 miles I can't believe it could be pistons at this mileage.
I will compression test it in the morning, does anyone know what compression pressures I should be looking for on cranking?
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn