16v Sump

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

16v Sump

Post by toddao »

The old tin sump on my 16v is very rusty so I thought rather than wire-brushing painting etc. and then it going porous in a week I'd fit the alloy sump I took off a GTI that had AC..

So.. do I need a spacer? I don't have one and if that GTI did I left it not knowing about such things at the time.

I've got all the AC kit but won't be fitting that for a while but I suspect the spacer has something to do with that?

Any thoughts? Thankyou
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Is the ally sump finned? I've seen two types - the smooth kind which came from a diesel and no spacer, and the finned kind which came from a 16v with a spacer. You have what you have, so I'd be inclined to bolt it up temporarily and see if the oil pickup pipe (or crank!) fouls it.

The bolts are longer for the ally sump, and longer still if there was a spacer so if you got those at the same time that may be a clue.... If you haven't got them they are M7, which is annoying.

The spacer will obviously affect belt length when the compressor is mounted, although the car I took the 16v sump off did not have A/C. I think it should still be possible to fit the system without a spacer (assuming no other issues) but Citroen must have fitted it for a reason...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks Mat - I thought you might know something about this.

It's the finned type and yes, I took the bolts from the GTI - I'll check them for length. Re the gasket - I suppose Citroen dealers only. And, if you fit a spacer is it two gaskets then?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

No gasket - just sealant. I'm guessing that the sump needs to be more rigid when you hang the compressor off it, so needs to mount directly to the block rather than a compressible paper gasket. Plus it's a machined face rather than a pressed surface so likely to be flatter anyway.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

mat_fenwick wrote: Plus it's a machined face rather than a pressed surface so likely to be flatter anyway.
that.

IIRC the sump will fit without fouling the crank sans spacer, but you'll be lowering the oil sump capacity, which is bad, especially on a valver...

Incidentally, if you fit a 16v sump and spacer on a diesel you have to chop the rib out or it wont fit..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

docchevron wrote:you have to chop the rib out or it wont fit..
I know, and not the only mod... ](*,)

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

docchevron wrote:
mat_fenwick wrote: Plus it's a machined face rather than a pressed surface so likely to be flatter anyway.
that.

IIRC the sump will fit without fouling the crank sans spacer, but you'll be lowering the oil sump capacity, which is bad, especially on a valver...
Bingo!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I find they always start leaking without a gasket so I do fit one as well as loads of silicone gasket goo.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.