sticky starter

BX Tech talk
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Vanny wrote:
pmh wrote:
citronut wrote:the usual fault if bashing it gets it working is sticking/worn down carbon brush's,

over time the carbon dust from the brush's gets in between the brush and carrier which stops the brush/s sliding freely, so a tap/bash to the starter body causes the brush's to move back onto the commutator,

regards malcolm
Carbon Brushes on a starter motor????

I have only ever seen solid copper - I dont think carbon will last too long at 100-200 Amps!
While not explicitly stated, i'm pretty sure Malcolm is referring to the solenoid that fires the engagement pin/gear and supplies the power to the starter motor. 'Starter' problems are always in the solenoid and not in the motor.

I

no he isn't Vanny :wink:

the solenoid only supplies the brush's with current once it has fully engaged,

in my experience if bashing the starter gets it to work, the fault is caused by sticking brush's what ever they are made from,

usually if the fault is solenoid based the starter will either not do anything
or click or even try to throw the gear in but miss mesh,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

with a friends help I removed the starter today , cleaned it up and checked the terminals' connected it to a battery and spun it up while it was off the car,checked the teeth on the cog and ring gear, then refitted it, it seems to spin faster now and so far no more problems
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!