Quick-fix 'sticky-boot' C.V. Boot repairs...successful ?

BX Tech talk
oilybox
Confirmed BX'er

Quick-fix 'sticky-boot' C.V. Boot repairs...successful ?

Post by oilybox »

Hi all, 1st MOT whilst in my possession, my Diesel Meteor fails on split/partly missing c.v. Boot o/s, insecure handbrake cable, o/s, plastic has worn off where its rubbed the wheel rim, and n/s return pipe from suspension strut has cracked/split. I can fix the pipe with a nylon pipe joiner and some heatshrink tube, so that should be ok, the cable can be re-routed/ it's bracket bent, so it clears the wheel, I'll slide some electrical conduit over the cable outer to keep the muck out.... I bought a split, glue-together universal c.v. Boot, only I've just read some Internet forum quotes saying they don't work?, has anyone on here tried them?... This is a new type with a tongue in groove join....
mechanically-minded, technically-gifted,....self-confessed fix-it yourself fan....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've used one once, and it worked. It was a bugger to keep grease off it though, which is why I expect the common perception is that they don't work...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i dont agree with them likewise for the stretch over CV boots because you trap all the crap and grit into you CV joint, which don't do it any favors,

but i did use one many eons ago and the trick is to clean the grease from the area, then place the new boot over the shaft and glue it together,
after it is stuck together then squeeze the grease in it and as much as you can into the CV joint,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
oilybox
Confirmed BX'er

Post by oilybox »

.... Seems about right, if you take the care, and keep the grease out until the last minute, a paraffin blow-gun can clean out the grit/dirt, grease up the joint and wrap a layer of cling film round the joint to keep the grease off the boot... Then pop the grease in the boot when glue is dry.... Leave the cling film in, as it should just breakdown/get chewed up without causing any damage.... And job done, the makers reckon 20 mins to fit..... I'll give it a go....
mechanically-minded, technically-gifted,....self-confessed fix-it yourself fan....