16v Fuel filter

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

16v Fuel filter

Post by toddao »

I believe this is integrated into the pump at the back but as I don't have any manual for the 16v I just wanted to check before I attack it.
How do I remove it and is it a replacement item or clean?

Thanks again valverers!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Nope, it's the metal-can inline type. Just replace, cheap as chips!
I have zero patience for your tedium.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Ah, thanks Jay. I can't actually see it. The fuel piping looks relatively 'new' ( i.e ten rather than twenty years old) and I wonder if they forgot to re-fit a filter. It wouldn't be unlikely after some of the artful solutions the previous owner came up with.
Todd

Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

The filter sits right next to and above the pump. They are both in a sort of rubber sleeve A very short U shaped hose connects them together at the rear end. I suppose it could be bypassed but that would not do the injectors any good.
Easy to spot Todd.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

There is also a fuel pulse damper in a similar region which is a smaller metal can than the fuel filter an on top of the sub frame, this IS often by-passed at a small risk of increased wear rate on the fuel pump.

Be care full when ordering a replacement fuel filter as i consistently get handed a 8v GTi filter (often in a plastic housing) which wont fit :(
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Vanny wrote: Be care full when ordering a replacement fuel filter as i consistently get handed a 8v GTi filter (often in a plastic housing) which wont fit :(
Que ?? Never heard of that. The 8v filter is a metal one too and is listed as exactly the same filter on AEP.
I had to have one fitted in France a couple of years ago. They stung me 25EUR.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for the tips fellas - it's easy once you know where to find it! I saw it immediately, removed the heat shield and dropped the rubber block out containing the pump and filter. The new filter is on it's way from one of those bargain internet factors - let's hope it fits.
Todd

themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Careful with removing the fuel hoses from the filter - The fuel damper on mine was pretty rusty (although you can hardly see it as it's hidden on top of the subframe) and the pulling of the hoses split the damper - hard to replace up there so I bypassed it.....
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

agreed,

I bypassed my damper thingy on both my BXs when they broke and sprayed fuel around.

Perhaps there is a similar device from other cars which is easier to fit as a replacement, perhaps at the engine end where there is more room?

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Pretty sure the 405 Mi16's had them mounted on a bracket near the fuel rail in the engine bay..
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I was wondering where that pulsation damper thing was - I couldn't see it anywhere!

I suppose I need to clamp the fuel hose before I remove the filter? I don't have one of those hose clamps though.. any other bodges er.. solutions before I get sprayed with Texas Tea?

Cheers.
Todd

Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Its suction drawn by the pump, so i've never found they drain out too much fuel. Just don't be smoking at the same time!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Vanny wrote:Its suction drawn by the pump, so i've never found they drain out too much fuel. Just don't be smoking at the same time!
I did that once, Didn't even think about it until there was fire, one of the most exciting 3 seconds of my life, took a while for the eye brows to grow back though...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks fellas - I knew I could rely on the pros for the right approach. I was just about to light up a gasper as I was squeezed under the car fiddling with the petrol filter then I got the word... :D

I don't think eyebrows are an evolutionary necessity anway! More aerodynamic without them perhaps?
Todd

toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I sorted this yesterday - sort of. The replacement filter went in a treat and no Texas Tea in eyes. The real problem was the heat shield.. the one on there had been bodged and I could not get it hooked up again.
I should have probably removed the backbox and saved myself a lot of time . Instead I removed the spare wheel carrier and attacked from the rear armed with a new heat shield discovered amongst the sediment. It's not quite right yet. How small jobs suddenly take considerably longer than planned..
Todd