I hate diesel pumps...

BX Tech talk
electrokid
1K Away

I hate diesel pumps...

Post by electrokid »

and I expect it's mutual :lol:

I had a leak on the 'throttle' spindle (occasionally fuel leaking out but usually air leaking in) so yesterday I took the top off the pump and eventually decided just to replace the 'o' ring.

Reassembly was the nightmare I presume it's supposed to be and I had some difficulty getting it running again but eventually did. Before stripping it down I noted the max rpm (according to my rev counter which is probably a bit out) to be around 4750 and since I don't want the MOT test to blow the engine up I was trying to adjust it so it was no higher than that an possibly a bit lower. Although it seems to be running very well the rev limit is something over 5000 so I don't want to risk an MOT emissions test until I can fix the max revs.

So... Questions... (Bosch pump)

I've turned the fuel adjustment anti-clock - reducing the fuel - by several turns - did I reassemble something slightly differently for that to be needed ?

There's an adjustment to limit the movement in one direction on the cutoff lever - what does that do please.

At the moment, tickover is a little high but that should be no problem to change with the idle adjustment.

It does feel a bit 'livelier' than it used to - does that mean I'm still overfuelling slightly despite the new position of the fuel adjustment.

There's no smoke - but I've mixed one bottle of Forte with about 2 gallons of diesel and (prior to stripping the pump) thrashed the nuts off it a few times.

Ok - to be fair to diesel pumps this is the first one I've tackled.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
JayW
1K Away

Re: I hate diesel pumps...

Post by JayW »

electrokid wrote: I've turned the fuel adjustment anti-clock - reducing the fuel - by several turns - did I reassemble something slightly differently for that to be needed ?
That's certainly not right. One full turn on mine and it was running and sounding like a bag of spanners. Qtr turn made significant a difference to stop there.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Yes - I've seen the 'turn it quarter of a turn at a time' instructions - it seems to work in tandem with the other adjustment on the cutoff lever and having got it basically running I didn't want to disturb it further.
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Malcolm [Citronut] had a similar problem with mine recently and he did something similar by trial and error and got it runnng perfectly. Might be worth a word with him.

Andy
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Thanks Andy - I'll give Malcolm a bell if I get stuck (and about his technique for keeping brake cables from rubbing as well ! ) My problem at the mo is I don't know when I'll get it back from welding - then Andy Baker will do the CV boot and the MOT runs out on Friday so not much time to squeeze it all in.

Unlikely but... are you also on vinylengine.com as Mothman ? (I'm on vinylengine as electrokid of course)
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Unlikely but... are you also on vinylengine.com as Mothman ? (I'm on vinylengine as electrokid of course)

Sorry, not me.

Andy
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

That'll be a diferent kind of moth then - there's a vacuum record cleaner called The Moth !
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi,
Did you record the original positions of all the levers and screws.
It's imperative to do this.

I always accurately record with photos and scribe marks all, before dismantling.

If you do not, they are a pig to correct.

As you have found out, inter reaction between various adjustments.

Best of luck, and let the forum know how you progress.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I thought about taking a photo but didn't bother - I will if there's a next time though.

I'm beginning to think that what I would think of as the 'throttle max end stop' is the max revs setting so I'll try that when I get the car back - I called in this afternoon and they hadn't even started the welding job yet which was disapointing - I'll have another fiddle when I get it back - but I'm thinking 'pig to correct' is going to be right.
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Malcolm did it ok though, worth a phone call ime sure.

Plenty of types of moths i can tell you, i should know, been doing it since i was a kid.

Andy
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Thanks for the link Kevan - much appreciated. I finally got the max speed down by adjusting the 'throttle end stop' for want of the correct description.
2002 C5 HDi SX estate