16v alternator belt

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

16v alternator belt

Post by toddao »

Questions, questions..

The old one has five ribs and is approx 760mm long. Citroen themselves specify a five ribbed belt at 750mm but I didn't want to pay probably €50 for one from them so I've been looking on ebay..

There are so many that claim to fit the BX 16v but they vary in length from 715mm to 755mm and some have four, some five ribs. Any suggestions?

Thanks again ( almost got it sorted now..)
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Got mine from my local motor factor. Had them in stock. EK Brakes in Lancaster. Just give them your chassis number and they will order from that. If you need I could get you one and post it on. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Alternator belts are like light bulbs, there are hundreds of types, but ultimately they're generic.

You need a 5 peak belt, and i guess get a 755mm one. I would go to my local factors (having first measured the belt of the length needed) and ask for a 5 peak belt, 755mm long and he would hand me a belt with a part number something like '5PK755' and i would be happy.

There is absolutely no need to get one from Citroen, and they usually come in 5mm increments. If your unsure on length, take a dress makers measure and run it around the pulleys, this will give you the size. Remember the alternator tensioner will be able to take a good 10mm of slack out of the belt, so you will probably find a belt anywhere between 745 and 765 length will be what you want.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, I'll get myself down to a real shop rather than shopping through my keyboard all the time! I've heard they still exist with people in there and stuff..

I got that slightly wrong as the one from Citroen is actually 750mm not 755mm but, as you suggest Vanny, it's 'RP5 750'
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read