front end not raising

BX Tech talk
cacaolat
BXpert

front end not raising

Post by cacaolat »

Today the front end of my car did not raise at all. Even when I put the car at the highest position, only the rear end raises. No red warning lamps and the hydraulic oil level seems normal too.
I tried to push down the suspension a bit, just in case the struts are stuck but no luck.
:?
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

I had this happen to me over winter after I'd put the car into low position - the front wouldn't rise back up again after.

No conclusive answer, sorry, other than that patience worked for me. Try rocking the front from side to side, my car's previous owner used a pothole to release a stubborn height corrector once but I don't think I can condone the latter somehow :?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

Probably the height corrector or its linkage is stuck, I have driven one front wheel onto a block of wood to get some room and then jacked the car up, that seems to shake it loose.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

its usually the linkage sticking, needs working and lubing,

try setting the height lever to high to see if this will get her up, then put the lever back to normal height,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Thank you for the advice so far...
I will try to jack up the car, but today I just did not want to get my hands dirty.
Putting the suspension into the high position and back to normal did not do anything. where do I find this link and how do I lube it. I am usually a bit worried to touch the suspension pipes and hoses just in case some LHM shoots out.
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

When I raised (hahaha) this issue in my blog thread I received this reply:
Gary wrote:Did you lubricate the bush on the sub frame that the height corrector linkage pivots on?
It is a bit difficult to see from underneath but i think you can see it on the o/s from under the bonnet on the petrol models behind the engine near the steering rack.
It is number 4 in this diagram
ImageImageImageImageImage
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

driving around for 5 minutes and not being too gentle to speed bumps sorted it out now the suspension is as smooth as ever...
pmh
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pmh »

>>I am usually a bit worried to touch the suspension pipes and hoses just in case <<<

If this worries you, I would suggest that you should not do any work on the suspension as it is possible for the suspension to drop at any time. If your fingers, hands, arms, or worse are in the wrong position you may find something amputated!
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

don't worry I would not do any work on the suspension, but if some return pipes have no pressure in them then it would be ok. And I would not lie under the car anyway
cacaolat
BXpert

Re: front end not raising

Post by cacaolat »

I will need to lubricate this linkage to the height corrector. Is this accessible at all from above or do I need garage/axle stands etc. ??
Today I raised the car to the highest level to give the struts some lubrication but now the front is stuck in the high position. :?
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

My guess would be crud in the height corrector itself, but I am no expert. This is assuming that the rod linkage bar under the car does in fact move when you move the lever. Essentially, when the lever is in driving height, there should be no tension on the control lever for about a cm up or down (backward and forward) when you try and move it, as this is the height correctors neutral position. Any more than about a cm away from the normal height position should produce springy tension, and at this point the spring effect in the control lever is fighting the spring between the height corrector and the anti-roll bar. This is why it is stiff to put the car in the highest or lowest position. My vote would be: get some "hyrdraflush" in place of the LHM in the tank, and drive it for 700 miles like this, then change back to LHM.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

In fact; just re-read Willy's/Gary'spost...That link that the height corrector linkage pivots on; thats more likely to be your problem. By far the easiest way to do this is drive up some car ramps and ensure you fit under the car when its in its lowest position, and can get to the height corrector; that way you can test the full range of motion, and not be killed if it suddenly drops. If you dont have car ramps, just put it in high, find the height corrector linkgage and spray it with oil ensuring you dont go under the car. An axle stand will give you peace of mind. When you have solved the problem, arrange to get some decent grease in there instead of WD40 or similar so that lubrication lasts.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Just tried to find the right bit to lubricate from above. I could not find it. the diagram has good detail but I just could not see it. It may be time to buy some axle stands from Lidl.

The front of the car is still in the highest position and I have noticed that the clip that holds the gaiter on one of the 2 horizontal pistons (is this the steering rack ?) has come off. So it may be a case that I will need a garage anyway.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I think the height corrector linkage you want to lubricate is the one above/behind the front subframe, not the linkage for the lever in the car. Basically your looking for part 7 (the height corrector) in the diagram, and the linkage near is what you want to lube. And yes, that other part will be the steering rack. Its actually one piston with two ends, one for each wheel. Can you reach in to get the gaitor back on? Some strong zip-ties might work?

EDIT: I see what you mean by above now..in the engine bay. Yes I don't think you can see this part from above. Id invest in some axle stands as even though you could put it on hight and go under - don't. You could die. Its best too if you can let the car settle onto the stands to make sure its secure. You dont want them under there loose in case the car falls and somehow is not supported.
Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

What about one not rising
and then suddenly

launches upwards until it reaches full out and then settles back to normal

This happened with the original leg and then I put on a known ' good ' leg and it does the same again

Sorry for slight hijack
Land Rover Discovery TD5